586,036 active members*
3,573 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Very new to edgecam

Very new to edgecam

We use edgecam in school, but of course we don't learn much about it...

So I basically suck at edgecam, while I am quite proficient in Inventor. I can't get many of my inventor parts into a gcode (unless it is a basic outline or a box or something) because I suck so much at edgecam.

So what I really want to know is...
    How do I do fillets and other curves in edgecam? I've been trying, but I can't get anything to work right.

I am using .ipt if it matters.

thanks in advance for the replies, and sorry if my question is too broad (or if I need to learn alot more stuff before attempting curves and such).

for starters

Do you have a solid loaded into Edgecam or are you using 2d geo?

Not entirely sure, how do I find that out?

In other words.

Is it a model or a sketch?
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

model.
    I thought he was using fancy words, and didn't realize by 2d geo he meant 2d geometry... Oops.

So I gave up for a while and am now trying to figure out how to do this still.

I am using solids. I just have no clue as to how to start to get any type of curve. Here is an example of what I am trying to do...

If anyone could shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Don't do any modelling in edgecam - it sucks for that. The methods it uses were pretty advanced in 1992, but it's antique now. Get your model complete how you want it in Inventor, fillets and all, and just use Edgecam for machining.

I don't do any modeling in edgecam. Everything is in inventor. I am trying to work out the machining process in edgecam but unfortunately I have had very little training and don't have any way to get more.

ah right, so what do you mean by 'create a curve'? Do you mean how to run a tool over the shape you're created?

How far have you got? Have you got the part into edgecam?
    And why isn't your teacher telling you these things? :-)
    There's a tutorial in the help files that'll get you going.

Let us know exactly where you've got to and where you're stuck and we'll help you out.

Correct, run a tool over the shape I've created. I've been able to do stuff with more or less 2d shapes, such as boxes, cutting key chains and the like but nothing more complicated with more 3d curves. I can get the parts into edgecam fine and do basic operations. My teacher isn't telling me because he is swamped and probably doesn't know .

Ok, so I did a tutorial and when I was putting all of teh settings in for a roughing operation I kept getting a window that popped up and said "Clearance should be above Level." I had everything like it told me to in the tutorial, with level of 0.0 and clearance of 5. Anyone know why it might be doing this?

very are several ways to machine this part... if it isnt to long (dimensions would be nice)...then you can side (peripheral) mill the profile using 2d toolpathes..if the part in longer than a few inches..then 3d contouring maybe the anwser (with multiple setups)...and if longer than that and for ease of setup (but more programming) 4D might be the way to go.... if your teacher isnt teaching you this...get a differant one...and if you are jumping ahead of your ciriculum...you might want to think about staying with the rest of the pack until all of the basics have been covered including but not limited to safty..and job planning...then you can take off... but unless you know the basics of being a machinist..it could be dangerous for you..
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

Quote Originally Posted by helix77 View Post
    very are several ways to machine this part... if it isnt to long (dimensions would be nice)...then you can side (peripheral) mill the profile using 2d toolpathes..if the part in longer than a few inches..then 3d contouring maybe the anwser (with multiple setups)...and if longer than that and for ease of setup (but more programming) 4D might be the way to go.... if your teacher isnt teaching you this...get a differant one...and if you are jumping ahead of your ciriculum...you might want to think about staying with the rest of the pack until all of the basics have been covered including but not limited to safty..and job planning...then you can take off... but unless you know the basics of being a machinist..it could be dangerous for you..
    It isn't covered in the High School courses. I have used CNC's many times and know all of the safety aspects of it. A new teacher isn't really an options without going to Cornell to take courses which I cannot afford.

I would like to do it with 3d contouring so I can learn how to do it.

The thing is, that isn't an easy job. It doesn't look it, I know, but it's a complex shape. You're looking at using ballnose cutters (assuming it's fairly big) or custom tools (assuming it's fairly small), difficult work holding. probably more than 3 axis or at least some tricky setups between ops...basically, there's a fair bit more to machining that job than just generating some code and running the cutter over it which is why you're getting a few hesitant replies - we're scared you're going to chuck it in a mill and press the green button and cause some damage - to yourself and the machine! :-) I don't mean to patronise, you might well know what you're doing, but we don't know that. Put it this way, I know a few jobshops that would refuse to quote it as it's too complex to be worth their while.

Are you actually intending to make the part? Or are you just trying to get some code out for the exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by abr5 View Post
    It isn't covered in the High School courses. I have used CNC's many times and know all of the safety aspects of it. A new teacher isn't really an options without going to Cornell to take courses which I cannot afford.

I would like to do it with 3d contouring so I can learn how to do it.

yup... you can 3d it.... use the paralell lace cycle... you will need to rotate it a couple of times... HOW BIG IS THE PART?????...
    dont misunderstand my meaning of basics.... safty is first and foremost... but i also mentioned job planning... which is exactly what you are asking of us...to plan this out for you... all i am saying is that... if you are'nt experianced enough to plan and program this correctly...you might need someone (maybe an experianced teacher) to look over your shoulder...no offense but... i wrecked a few parts myself doing 3d contourng wrong
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST