586,075 active members*
3,568 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chip Tray for 8x12?

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just purchased a HF 8x12. I'm looking for ideas as to what to do for a chip tray and splash guard for this machine. Does anyone sell them or is there a home made alternative to this. If you have done this on yours how did it work and any details would be appreciated. I'm a newby and I am not quite sure how large of a tray I might need, just between the legs or a full machine width. I will be making small items for fly rod building 99% of the time using nicklesilver 1" rod stock or tubestock. The machine will be mounted on a wood work bench in my garage.
    Thanks
    Mike

Welcome,

I am not aware of any shield from HF, you might want to check the lathemasters site, they are the same machine. I don't think it would be to hard to determine what size you need otherwise just turn some parts and watch were the chips go, its hard to encompass every spot, the best bet is lexan which can be cut on a regular table saw if the cut is greater then 1", otherwise it shatters. I have found that on most manual machines after a while the top shields just get in the way(and get cloudy), if you are cutting correctly the chips should just roll off anyway.

chris

Mike,

Check this website. http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/8x12lathe/pricing.htm

Fignoggle says that the splash guard is available special order from HF but he doesn't have the part numbers. I think I may have even seen the part numbers on another website (not sure).

Alan

I just bent up some steel steel for mine. The plexiglass cracks, so I need to find some lexan to replace it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20070613_4640.JPG  
    Regards,
    Mark

I'm starting to lean towards covering the bench with some sheet metal and see what happens without a splash guard. I could also add a sheet of light metal on the wall with a lip over the benchtop. Lexan might be added later if I see that I have to protect the headstock more than it is already covered with the factory covers. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Mike

To me, being able to enclose the lathe and control the chips has been one of the biggest advantages of doing the CNC conversion.

Then again not everyone has the lathe on the balcony and a wife who will kill if the kids get swarf in their feet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enclosure01.JPG   Enclosure02.JPG  
    Regards,
    Mark

Smile HF8x12 parts

Hi. Just thought I'd chip in two cents.
    I just got the HF8x12 and am having fun making my own parts and tools. Everything I've read about the 8x12 says it's a awsome value. So far I have made a splash guard, boring bar holder (2), and a steady rest.
    I would like to post some jpgs but have to get the feel of the site first.
    Yours,
    Al

Hey Mark that's a pretty cool set up! But being a newby at this I'm going to have to stick with the basics. My Kids are grown and on their own now, I better learn how to safely turn some aluminum in my gaage before I start to try to convince the wife I need to upgrade to a CNC system.
    Al, I'm interested in what you came up with, I'm a total newby at this, I'm still just drooling over the new lathe, haven't even powered up yet.LOL
    Mike