I run a control panel shop and we build a large number of similar panels and I am looking to automate the drilling of the panel backplate for the devices we mount. Currently we are laying out the panel by hand and drilling the holes with battery drill motors or our large table drill press.

My goal for a panel design that we are going to build ~5+ of would be to layout the hole locations in CAD and use a CNC machine to drill all of the mounting holes for the controllers, DIN rail, wire duct, etc. This would increase consistency in our panels and reduce fatigue in my panel techs.

I'm not sure what kind of machine would be a good starting point to accomplish this. The backplate ranges from 10"x10" up to 36"x60" and they are typically powder coated steel, 12 to 16 gauge.

Should I be looking at CNC Routers, a large mill/drill, laser, ?? We have extensive CAD experience in house, and I'm sure we can learn the software side of things, but I'm just not sure where to start. Any suggestions/guidance?

Tyson