586,357 active members*
3,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ES-L6 U10L Issues

Hello All,

I may have hinted towards it several months ago. I have bought an ES-L6 lathe with U10L control. I bought the machine to make some extra money on the side in an attempt to pad the bank account some. I put basically everything I had saved back into it. I struggled with the decision for a few days before I went ahead with it.

Just in the last two weeks I have been able to work on it. It's been an adventure I'll say but I don't want to waste time here with the whole story. Well, we can say my fears are beginning to show theirs heads.

I am running the machine on a 20HP rotary phase convertor. I got the machine up and running, everything moved as it should spindle real smooth, X/Z axis moved great. I snapped some pictures of the control cabinet as everything running correctly for future reference. Turned out the future was closer than I had anticipated. I was running a dummy program left in the machine from the previous owner with no stock in the machine just to test that everything would function as I expected. Then at the end of the program maybe even the rapid to home position it stopped with an X axis alarm. This time I wasn't smart enough to snap a pic. I restarted the machine and it didn't finish booting up when it throws Alarm P 0812. Going through manuals leads me to the X axis drive or MIV unit. MIV unit is giving error EL 02. Manual says replace MIV. One other noteworthy point is that the previous owner replaced I believe the DC power supply.

At this point I can't sink much more money into it. I just don't have it right now. I'm fairly crafty and could attempt a repair.

That's the back story, so here is the questions. Say I get this fixed, is this going to be an on going issue of components failing because I am on a phase converter? Has anyone else attempted and succeeded at a repair? Could the problem be just a bad/leaky CAP or IGBT that can be swapped out easy? Fortunately I am not under any deadlines so I am not worried about how long it takes or letting anyone down.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank You all,
    Dave in Ohio

Re: ES-L6 U10L Issues

Just to report back...

I tore the MIV down didn't see anything obvious(Leaky Caps, Bad Traces). I swapped the IGBTs to see if problem switched to the other axis, it did not.

Attached is a pic from an MCS manual I found googling. It is more detailed than the manual I have.

On the +24 volt cable going into the MIV I have +24.5 volts.

Here is another question. Maybe this is blatenly obvious but I havn't figured it out...Where does it display the XXXXYYYY values? I havn't seen them. Is there an easy place to check the +-12volts?

I'll post back my findings when I get a chance.

Thanks again,
    Dave