586,075 active members*
3,714 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc O-m Chiron

Hi, Does any one have any experience with chiron m/cs. We have a chiron milling m/c, with fanuc OM control and need to modify tool change program. Does any one know which program is called on M6 and how to get in and edit it.
    Thanks in advance
    Turner.

Look at your parameters in the range of 240 - 242. If you see the number "6" in any of those 3 parameters, then M06 is assigned to call a macro.

If it's in parameter 240, then your tool change macro is O9001
    If it's in parameter 241, then your tool change macro is O9002
    If it's in parameter 242, then your tool change macro is O9003

You can have 3 different M-codes call 3 different macros if you want.

I have a Chiron FZ12S with a Siemens 810 control so can`t help with this problem.If you need help with the machine side at anytime just shout.
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by TURNER View Post
    Hi, Does any one have any experience with chiron m/cs. We have a chiron milling m/c, with fanuc OM control and need to modify tool change program. Does any one know which program is called on M6 and how to get in and edit it.
    Thanks in advance
    Turner.
    Hi Turner,
    I know u came asking for help, but i'll need yr help with something... u mention u have a Chiron with Fanuc controls.
    I have a few Chiron FZ12S myself which we're thinking of refurbishing but the control panel's buttons are rather worn out and need to be replaced but i cant see whats printed on the buttons.
    Is it possible for u to take a high resolution photo of yr control panel and email it to me?
    Many many thanks in advance

I have a First Cv410 with a Fanuc O-m and tool changes happen on M10

Happy to help with any mechanical issues we got a couple of WM03's/FZ22?, DZ18 Magnum and a DZ12 that should be very similar to the FZ12/WM02. Sorry cant help with the Fanuc OM on a Chiron we also use Siemens 810 controls on ours. We have modded the tool changes on all of our Chirons.
    Good luck Turner
    Daza

Chiron Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Big_d View Post
    Happy to help with any mechanical issues we got a couple of WM03's/FZ22?, DZ18 Magnum and a DZ12 that should be very similar to the FZ12/WM02. Sorry cant help with the Fanuc OM on a Chiron we also use Siemens 810 controls on ours. We have modded the tool changes on all of our Chirons.
    Good luck Turner
    Daza
    Hi Daza,
    The problem we are having with the tool changer is, on tool change the spindle spins until the spring loaded drive dog engages with the tool holder. What is happening is sometimes the drive dog doesnt seem to be engaging. Our service guy, was wondering if we maybe slowed down the spindle revs in toolchange program maybe the dog wold have a better chance to engage. The tool changes on M06 but there doesnt seem to be any parameters linking to a toolchange program?? The m/c is an FZ18 magnum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks...
    Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by TURNER View Post
    Hi Daza,
    The problem we are having with the tool changer is, on tool change the spindle spins until the spring loaded drive dog engages with the tool holder. What is happening is sometimes the drive dog doesnt seem to be engaging. Our service guy, was wondering if we maybe slowed down the spindle revs in toolchange program maybe the dog wold have a better chance to engage....
    Shouldn't there be some sort of index pulse from the spindle encoder that tells when in rotation the dog should engage and shouldn't that index pulse be stopping the spindle?

Could the problem be the index is missing?

John

Lightbulb This should do it

Hello Turner
    That is a fairly common problem with a Chiron. 160 rpm on all of ours for the drive dog to engage. I am assuming you don't have a HSK taper in your spindle (Never had one of those apart). Firstly the tool needs to be presented at the correct height, check the gripper and make sure it has a bit of upward pressure on the tool with the collet unlocked (1.5 -2mm deflection but make sure that when the tool is locked is spins freely in the gripper). The knock out must also not be set to low or the dog wont have enough pressure to catch. How is the condition of the drive dog? They don't work quickly if the leading edge is worn, it needs a sharp edge. I believe the most likely problem is the spindle itself. The springs break/weaken on the top of the spindle (Inside the brass collar)that energise the push rod on top of the drive dog. There is also a small key to stop rotation inside the collar, these wear or work loose and will slow the dog operation (If you remove this key be sure to thread lock the screw on reassembly). Take out the spindle and see how loose the brass collar is on the spindle assembly, if it moves up and down freely and has very little or no radial movement it should be ok. This is the same for a basket tool change as well. To loose and you will have problems.
    The tool change cycle rpm could adjustable (Probably burnt into the eprom) but it wont fix this problem.
    Slowing down the tool change on a Chiron is like having a dog and barking yourself (Even if you have to give the dog CPR every day)
    Good Luck
    Daza

Hello John
    Chirons I have seen all tool change on the fly. They don't use a fixed position to pick up the tool that's why their tool change is so quick. They use a single drive key/dog that is spring loaded and drops down into the tool whilst the spindle rotates. They do have the option for an indexed spindle pick up for special tooling but I don't think that is the problem Turner is chasing.
    Cheers
    Daza

help with Chiron FZ18L & FZ22L

Hi,

We have recently bought a Chiron FZ 18L and FZ 22L with Fanuc OM Control. Both the machines are currently configured to run in Pendulum mode only i.e. in two sub tables machining mode. Is there any Parameter setting or Limit switches setting? So that we can use the complete and continuous travel of X axis from reference point to Left side last ending point.

And one more thing, Is there any automatic slides lubrication system in the machines? Or we just have to use greasing for the slides

Thanks in advance.

Mudassar

Issue with Chiron FZ18L & FZ22L

Hi,

We have recently bought a Chiron FZ 18L and FZ 22L with Fanuc OM Control. Both the machines are currently configured to run in Pendulum mode only i.e. in two sub tables machining mode. Is there any Parameter setting or Limit switches setting? So that we can use the complete and continuous travel of X axis from reference point to Left side last ending point.

And one more thing, Is there any automatic slides lubrication system in the machines? Or we just have to use greasing for the slides.

Thanks in advance.

Mudassar

Chiron FZ 12 tool change

Hi, not sure if I am in the right area since I have not logged to this site for a while but I really need help.
    I just purchased a used Chiron FZ 12 with the Fanuc 0-M controller. I can't figure out how to put a tool in the spindle. The only way that I was able to even load tools in the harms was by shutting the air off and when the harms came down I put the tools in. I am sure that there must be a easier way to add or remove tools by letting one harm down at a time. As I said I know nothing about this machine and I am frustrated and confused. When I purchased the machine it had a tool in the spindle and using M06 I was able to due a tool change once I came up with an empty tool harm during tool change and the spindle was left empty, I have not been able to due anything. Any help is really appreciated. If anyone would prefer to e-mail me with some help please do so. My e-mail address is [email protected] look forward to hear from anyone on this matter.

Claude

Hi Claude
    The tool arms can be moved down sequentially and then loaded using the tool in push button.
    First select manual mode; ensure the spindle is empty;the carasel is down and there is no interlock--doors 4th axis etc.
    I can get used manuals for these machines if you need one.
    Bertie

Thanks for the info I will try your suggestion. I don't recall seeng a tool down button but I will double check. I sent the same e-mail to Chiron america and they were kind enough to e-mail me the manuals in pdf format. I have not had the time to print them yet.

Claude

I`ve got a Chiron FZ12S with an 810 control.There is as Bertie says a manual tool down button on the machine operator panel.I`m not sure how it works as I don`t use the machine myself.
    Bertie can you supply a manual for my machine at reasonable cost?We spoke to Chiron many years ago when I first bought it but their attitude wasn`t great to be honest.
    Mark.

Re: This should do it

Just thought I would let you know, we had the same problem, but it was nothing to do with the 160rpm. It was a proximity switch not working. There is one that tells the machine the dog is engaged in the tool. Ours was active all the time so the machine was carrying on machining even though the dog wasn't engaged in the tool.