586,123 active members*
3,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

laser cut and burnout on fabric

Two processes I have heard about are burning the dye in denim to create designs. Has anyone done this? Also, is there a way to use laser to burnout areas on silk velvet - I see fabrics advertised as laser burnout but can't find any information on doing it. Hope someone here has tried this kind of process.

Jacqui, Goddess of Chaos, GSOLFOT
    HX 3040

Subscribing... I am sure you can do this but I think it would need to be a small one... I am interested to know.. I did see a funny thing on youtube, where a guy was burning toast art... Wrong material for you though..

Marc
    Hey check out my website...www.cravenoriginal.com
    Thanks Marc

I have done engraving on denim, with low power/high speed it will bleach out the color and leave white graphics. Be careful, too much power and it will burn through. Buy a hunk at a fabric store or use some old wornout jeans to practice.

I have also done a nice job engraving logos on fleece. It sort of melts the fibers flat. Cuts nicely too.

Another "fabric" I have used is automotive carpet. Have cut logos out of contrasting colors to be put back together the other way around. Have also used engrave mode to bleach on it like the denim, and with more power to "melt it flat" like on the fleece.

i also do denim frequently but as he said low power and high pass speed haven't tried much else i am gonna try to do some haired leather today for a project
    "The best things said should be written in stone"
    Colton www.coltonscustoms.com

It's been a few years since this thread started so i though i would kick start it again. I want to make custom lettered velvet cushions and a few other bits and pieces. Im sure someone here has tried this?????

I haven't tried velvet but on felt (the Acrylic variety, not 100% wool) it is possible to engrave designs and cut it clean. The engraving is created by smoothing the surface, it doesn't change the color so the effect is subtle but it changes the contrast.

If you are using synthetic velvet (made from Polyester or Nylon) it should be possible to remove the surface fibers and create a design. It may work on cotton fibers too although in this case it will likely remove the pigments and result in a white design.

Let us know how it works out.

Zax.

Another material

I have not tried it but have seen laser work done on microfiber materials from a sewing/fabric store. Can be nice for custom covers for books, etc. Very "rich" feel/look.

tim

Yes, laser engraving fabric can be done.

We do this in house on jeans, leather, many different materials with our galvo C02 marker. It is called the "plaque maker". The standard machine consist of a 50 or 60 universal tuber fit to a scanlab scan head. This machine is capable of fully engraving an 8x10 plaque in less then 15seconds ... yes 15 seconds.

We have many of these in the field, some are sued for processing millions of pencils per year to thousands of plaques per year.

Send us an email to [email protected] and we will process you samples for free and send them back to you.

The pencil feeder machine is the second one down on the left. http://focusedlightengraving.com/Systems%20Photos.html
    www.FocusedLightEngraving.com
    [email protected]