586,082 active members*
3,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Round column mill

I have a round column HF Mill 33686 i believe is the part number i is the big green one i am interested in putting a motor from my treadmill on this to power the spindle as i see people out there doing this very thing to what degree of success i din't know as most of these threads do not say. Which brings me o my question(s). After doing this will i be able to machine steel as most of my machining is steel with the occasional alum parts. Also seeing that i have a treadmill to cannibalise can i use the motor and controls and just build a different housing for the controls and electronics or will i have to get a different set of controls to run the motor. Please any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated as i don't want to take apart a good running treadmill if it is not going to work.

Wow does anybody want to answer to this post Please!!!!

Rodzilla,

Why do you want to replace the existing motor? It may be more powerful than a treadmill motor (depends). Sorry I can't help with the treadmill controls question.

I put a DC motor on my 9x20 lathe and I bought a controller on ebay. It is more powerful than the motor that came on it originally (3/4 hp replaced by 1 1/2 hp). However, my round column mill has a 2 hp AC motor on it and I would only consider replacing it with a DC motor if it went bad. To find a good 2 1/2 to 3 hp DC motor with continuous rating would not be cheap, not to mention that I would have to rewire for 220v for the mill. It currently runs on 110v with a 20 amp breaker and if I try to run anything else on that circuit at the same time it trips the breaker.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by acondit View Post
    It currently runs on 110v with a 20 amp breaker and if I try to run anything else on that circuit at the same time it trips the breaker.
    I have much the same, the start up current sometimes throws the RCB when I turn it on. I reckon it has to be when my turn on coincides with a peak on the mains cycle.

I'm replacing the motor relay with a fat triac and an MOC3041 that switches as the mains crosses zero volts. See if that fixes it

I am not going to do the motor change if i will lose to much power i just think the vriable speed would be alot better and faster than changing the belts. I just wanted some opinions from some people who have more experience with this stuff as i am pretty new to this stuff. I also don't want to convert to 3 Phase i have wenough problems figuring out single phase stuff throw 2 more phases in there and my head will explode.