586,103 active members*
3,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC machining RFQ

Hi. I need a quote preferably from someone in the southern ontario area for some CNC machining work. this is one part of a couple similar parts and also some aluminum CNC turning could also be sent out for quote. This part is just cheap hot rolled steel that I normally buy as 2" x 1" flat bar.

The qty would be 20, 50, 100, 500 for pricing. I would probably take a lower qty as my first order and then increase it to either 100 or 500 pcs.

Thank you.

EDIT* I put the wrong file in the post, please read my post below with an explanation, Sorry

I have some questions about this RFQ,

Is there any special tolerances to respect on the part?

Do you want a quote with us supplying the material?

Thank you!

all dimensions +/- 0.010" please, and the material would be supplied by the manufacturer and so far I have always just used hot rolled flat bar.

Maybe I am missing something?
    Your dxf appears to be a part that is 3.225 diameter.
    Please clarify

Feel free to email me if you wish.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was also wondering the same thing as DareBee...

Sorry guys, my bad, that is a 6061 aluminum round part that you are free to quote as well, it is currently being turned in 2 operations out of 3-1/4" round 6061 aluminum. The finish needs to be decent as far as appearance goes, but thats about it, it too is pretty much +/- 0.010" everywhere as well.

These I would need a quote on 10, and 100 pcs at a time, you supply the material. The 10 would just be to see the quality I guess, then if its all good, it would be 100 per order with repeats as needed. I need it to be 6061 aluminum because ut seems to be the proper grade for anodizing different colors.

I'll put up the proper DXF file for the steel milling machined part when I am at work on Monday morning. Sorry for the mistake.

Heres the steel part in a DXF file, In the file, it is pictured the way we are currently having it made, as a set of 4 parts to save tool change time and then they get cut to the proper length in the manual saw and then the last machining operation is done which is the channel in the center of the top of the part. All edges to be de-burred with something like a belt sander, we do most of the edges in the cycle with a 45 degree fly cutter to eliminate hand work on them.

I just looked at the file and it's the same as the first file witch is the part that is 3.225 diameter :P

WTF, I dont get it, I saved it again as the correct file, let me try it one more time, then I will machine my own head LOL.

does this look better?
    Attached Files Attached Files

It worked!

Rubber

There is enough info to quote these jobs.
    However, both of your DXFs do not have dimensions lines or extension lines. This will create some guess work for the company trying to machine them.
    There are dimensions hovering around the print though.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I'd have to agree. The print I opened was kind of hard to figure out what you wanted. Also, it looked like you were trying to show how to make them out of a single workpiece. Usually when I get quotes they leave that sort of stuff up to me. It's kind of the shops responsibility to make it as efficient as they can with the tooling/equipment they have.

A rule of thumb that I use is: Draw what you want to end up with, let the shop worry about how to do it.

Let me know if you still need these made.

Mike

He jus explained the way he was doing them at his shop...

In the file, it is pictured the way we are currently having it made, as a set of 4 parts to save tool change time and then they get cut to the proper length in the manual saw and then the last machining operation is done which is the channel in the center of the top of the part. All edges to be de-burred with something like a belt sander, we do most of the edges in the cycle with a 45 degree fly cutter to eliminate hand work on them.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGTZ View Post
    He jus explained the way he was doing them at his shop...

Exactly, we tried to make them twice that length but the HR flat bar material isnt straight enough so we cut it to 4 parts per length to help save on loading times, tool changing times and stuff like that, thats all. I'd rather get a faster cycle time to save on my costs so i just passed that info along, thats all.