586,106 active members*
3,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Buying CNC kits stuff tonight. Need some help.

Buying CNC kits stuff tonight. Need some help.

I have an X2 mill and I'm ready to buy the Xylotex kit with a CNC fusion complete 3 axis ballscrew kit.

The leadscrews that CNC fusion have are .200

Would I be better off with the 425oz motors or the 269oz?

270oz is plenty strong enough and give you better performance (higher speed) due to flatter torque curve.

mine is running it on all 3 axis without issues on my x2. on x3, I did get bigger motors, but I am running higher voltage drivers.

Askman is right, 269's are plenty of motor for the X2.
    I get 65 IPM on the X axis on mine with the Xylotex board at 24 Volts.
    I did use 495 oz/in for the Z axis but mine is a unique situation, not necessary
    for the standard X2.
    The Xylotex ships with 1/8 microstepping as default, a little weaker but smoother.
    it's easy to change the jumpers for full,half or 1/4 step modes.
    I took the jumpers off of some old bad cdrom drives to add to the xylotex board.
    It doesn't have the extra ones you'd need.

-my X2 runs 282s with the CNC Fusion (3 axis ballscrews), an Ebay controller (mechatronics) and KCAM.

The motors are fine, the X2 is the problem - build quality - a little too light weight (wish I did the X3)

Thanks for the help guys. My Mill is actually the lathe mill combo from Grizzly. g0516

To complete the build I will need to do one of 3 things.

Order of preference.

Buy a new HF X2 and retrofit
    Buy a Superx3 from Grizzly
    Buy the base and use my X2 head from the lathe mill.

I already have the grizzly DRO system mounted on the lathe and find that I would like the combo to stay together. Buy the time I pay LMS for the base and shipping, I could add another $200 and have a complete HF mill to modify and if something goes horribly wrong; still have one to use and work with.

Now, on that thought, based on what I read from this site and the CNC fusion kit site. I ordered the Xylotex kit with the 425 oz steppers. That is because the website said that the CNC fusion kit was .200 pitch and the Xylotex kit said for leadscrews that were 10tpi or less, the 425s would provide better output.

I ended up selling my old house and have a little play money here so I can do whatever. Should I just buy the X3 and get it over with? I read that it has a tapping feature and some other very nice things, but how practical will they be if using cnc?

Hoss, thanks for your input. Your build is the inspiration to even get started down this path. :cheers:

If you have the room and the money, I would say definitely choose the X3 over the X2. I have an X2 and a RF30. I am toying with selling both and getting an X3 myself.

Alan

Alright then.

I have just now ordered my Super X3 from grizzly. As soon as I get it in, I will start the process on retrofit.

Do you know of any places that plans might be available for the retrofit brackets, etc. If not, I will get the CNC fusion deluxe kit and be done with it.

Thanks
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cjdavis618 View Post
    Alright then.

I have just now ordered my Super X3 from grizzly. As soon as I get it in, I will start the process on retrofit.

Do you know of any places that plans might be available for the retrofit brackets, etc. If not, I will get the CNC fusion deluxe kit and be done with it.

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris,

Tony Jeffree converted an X3 to CNC and wrote an article about it with pictures and drawings.
    http://www.jeffree.co.uk/pages/x3-to-cnc.html

It looks like one could follow his lead. However, the CNCFusion kit looks good also. I guess it depends on your goals and objectives. The CNCFusion kit would be faster if you want to get cutting under computer control. However, doing it yourself will help develop your machining skills, which is helpful in designing parts to be cut under CNC control.

Alan

well, I spoke to soon. Grizzly e-mailed me and said that the sx3 was on backorder until Sept 14th. That is just my luck I guess. lol.

I'm looking for other vendors. I see Travers.com has them but I have heard they strip out all the accessories. And they are more expensive than grizzly.

do u really need the tilting head and tapping functon the sx3 offers? you wont if you cnc it.

That's what I was asking.

I may at some point use the features. I do like the tach and the quill DRO for the super. And that is enough to make me buy that over the regular x3.

I may not need any of the extra stuff. But when did need become a factor of hobby cnc?

Well, since I can't find anyone that has the x3 in stock and I really want a bigger floor mill anyway... I bought my second x2 today. I want to do some small cnc work in the short term and decided it was worth it for me to outfit another x2, then once my shop is complete in the next few weeks, I will by my floor mill. I will be getting the g3617 from grizzly so I can do heavier materials.

I ended up getting some r8 tooling at an auction recently and since I was going to have to buy a table for around $225 from LMS, I decided just to keep the lathe/mill intact and buy a new complete x2 from HF. It can use the r8 tooling where my grizzly is an MT3 mill. So I have the best of both worlds I guess.

So at this point, I have the Xylotex 4 axis kit and the CNC fusion complete set heading my way.

Have any of you guys used the "Newfangled" plugin wizard in Mach 3? It looks pretty thorough and well written.

Chris,

If you decide that you want to later, you can also buy a replacement R-8 spindle from the Little Machine Shop to replace the mt3 spindle.

Alan

That's right, I forgot about that. I may look in to that later.

I like the extra clearance the MT3 spindle gives me over the R8 though. I loose about an inch with the r8 spindle on the HF mill.

Well, here is an update.

I have received one of the Xylotex kits already. (3axis 425 oz for Plasma table) Still waiting on the 4 axis complete kit. Ordered the CNC fusion kit.

Then, got a call from Grizzly stating that my (Canceled) order for the Super X3 was complete and had been shipped.

So now I have the g0516, a 44991 HFx2 and a Grizzly Super x3. (Along with a Mori seiki MV junior VMC (Needs Power supply) and a South Bend 13 I bought for $800 together.

What a week.

Sounds like machine heaven to me.....

It will be if I can ever get the Mori running. It will need a small nuclear power plant to run since I don't have 3 phase. lol the south bend lathe also has a 2hp 3phase motor. I will get a small static converter for it and get it going. I need a chuck and treaded plate for it and I will be in South bend heaven. It had an old aloris tool post on it, but I need to find some holders for it.

The rotary converter that is sized for the MV junior alone is $1500 plus shipping. That is just to see if it will power up. I may retrofit it and use the servos it has. That is if I can't get it running with its own controls. I'll know more once it makes the last leg of its journey to my house.

Either way, I hope to be making x3 chips tomorrow.