I have a Chinese Spindle and VFD (1.5Kw and a YL620-A VFD) in my hobbyist CNC machine. I was wondering what would it take to make rigid tapping. Seems like I can install a braking resistor in the VFD (according the manual I need a 100w 100Ohm resistor @ 220v) and that should help me control the braking capacity. I know I need to make other changes in order to have a precise feedback of the spindle speed in order to do what I want, but I will leave that for another post.
Currently, I'm trying to choose a resistor of that capacity. I see really cheap options in Aliexpress: some resistors with a golden aluminum heatsink. Some others are basically the same but square(ish) and silver aluminum heatsink. While the first one is advertised as a plain resistor, they don't mention 'braking resistor' in the description, nor does it mention a usage in a VFD. The more expensive one does. Is there any difference between the two?
Also, what about going a bit further and using a better resistor? I am thinking that if I reduce the Ohm rate to (lets say) 50Ohm, and I increase the Watt rating (lets say 400w to be in the safe side), I should be able to brake faster. Is that assumption correct or am I missing something?