586,069 active members*
3,912 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Rotary engraving aluminum, small text

Rotary engraving aluminum, small text

Hey all, Ive been trying to engrave some text, and while its coming out OK, its not perfect. the problem is that the edges of the letters and paths have a burl or flash on them, raised above the surface. Like my tool isn't fully cutting the material, its half cutting then pushing it up out of the way.

I need .125 high letters, I tried .oo5 depth (not too good) and .007 depth (better, atl east I was able to use my fingernail and scrape the flash off here)

Im using a carbide 60degree 2 flute v bit, .0625 diameter, .005 flat, from precisebits.com. I run .003 depth per pass at 15 IPM, around 27k rpm. Maybe 5 thou per pass instead of 3?

any tips with rotary engraving of alum? which bits have worked best for you?

thanks for any insight and experienced tips!!

~Steve

Steve,
    I have been using a small die grinder running at +/-50K with a 1/8" carbide "slotting drill" 90° and getting acceptable results. Because the pencil grinder doesn't have much power, I have been running about 3IPM and .002 depth in aluminum. worked great until the other day when I "think" a piece of rust or something got into it from the air line. Stalled out and now have to tear it apart to see what went wrong:{(

I have been cutting to .011" deep in 6061 and in steel, cut the paramaters to .001" deep and 1 or 2 IPM

also, use flood coolant!

Tried not using coolant and ran into all kinds of problems.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

hmmmm thanks for your insight there Bubba. Im going to experiment around a bit more with depths of cut and speeds feeds, and see how it goes.
    Id like to use coolant but I don't even want to think of the mess!

keep it comin anyone

thanks
    ~Steve

Have you tried Melin Conical Blanks. They are Carbide and come in sizes from 1/8 to 1/2 diameters. It is a single flute though. The tips vary from .005 to .02 and they also have 30, 60 and 90 degree included angles.

I use these a lot for engraving plastics, and aluminums.

http://www.endmill.com/pages/catalogs/2005/pdf/038.pdf
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

ball endmill

I use a 1/8 carbide ball endmill,5000 rpm,.005 depth,works fine.

i use a 1mm carbide ball nose running mid speed in a dremel .1mm depth wd 40 for coolant ,also works fine

I used to have similar issues with standard conical cutters until I began grinding them to have a positive face. This requires that the face is ground back past the normal point (which is on center). This makes for a somewhat frail cutter but the results are worth it - it drastically improves the cut quality. Grinding behind center also prohibits you from achieving a infinately small valley as the point becomes essentially a micro fly cutter so if that's really a concern then this method is not for you.

It also helps to spin these at rediculous speeds - I am fortunate enough to have access to a 50,000 RPM spindle. With said spindle, my cutting rates are still only between 10-12IPM with a .010" depth, but I get very little burr. Using a die grinder is another viable method for getting some pretty good speeds - I believe you can get pancil grinders that spin over 100K RPM (turbine type) but they might be a bit pricey.....

Someone out there has got to offer a conical cutter with positive rake, but I haven't looked. The neutral (standard) is just not adequate for aluminum in my opinion.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

I had the best luck with engraving SS when my single point carbide 60* tool chipped. I was irritated so I just raised the table a couple of thou and let it go, worked great, 20ipm, .003 per pass, 2 passes. I reccomend using carbide ballmills.
    Michael

Are you doing a finish cut?

I was having similar problems and did a final light pass with tool compensation on and told the CAM program that the tool was slightly smaller diameter than the roughing passes so that it "pushed" the tool over a bit further.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.