586,108 active members*
3,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Environmental / Alternate Energy > UK Smoking Ban increases Global Warming. Eeek!
Page 1 of 2 12

UK Smoking Ban increases Global Warming. Eeek!

You may be aware that here in England they have introduced a smoking ban in all public places (specificaly pubs).

Well, I was in a pub yesterday and was smoking outside in the beer garden and was pleased to be nice and warm due to the 10 (yes ten) electric radiator heaters (like the ones you get in bathrooms) that were strategicaly placed around the tables OUTSIDE).

These were noted to be operated by individual switches ("these heaters are for your convenience, please use as required") and are generaly ON from 11:30 am to 11:30 pm.

So I went to another pub (such is my dedication to research) and noted that they had 4 of them big calor gas heaters with the big reflectors at the top). Continualy on.

I was getting a bit concerned that my switching over from normal light bulbs to those crappy enery saving ones might be, well a drop in the ocean, so decided (in the interests of scientific research, of course) to visit a few more pubs.

One more had the gas patio heaters and the 4th one I staggered into (sorry, investigated) had the outdoor electrical heaters and a big screen outside!

Unfortunately, my research was terminated at this point cos Man City were playing Man U on the (outside) telly.

Nice to know that the tree huggers to advocate banning smoking cos it polutes their clothes/ lungs have caused a prospective huge increase in wasted energy heating patios and pub gardens.

I want a research grant from Greenpeace to wander round pubs and collect data on this terribly worrying phenomenon- 3 years should do it (might need an assistant- my girlfriend qualifies...). Thanks.

***end of grumbly old man rant***
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

LOL... I hear you man...

Have they though of the TAXES that they're going to loss from basically outlawing smoking? I think that in the US it will be billions of $'s.

My question is when I quit smoking is there anyone who "WANTS" to cover the part I was paying for smoking, $2 per pack in taxes?
    Hey check out my website...www.cravenoriginal.com
    Thanks Marc

superb, love your thinking there m8
    suppose if you can get a grant to invertigate the effects of milk on cornflakes
    then who knows ,its a big trough get yer nose in

mike

if the granting includes free beer and smokes i'd like to volunteer and help the cause

i'm sure those gas heaters don t have near the effect our old pit parties had , the fire couldn t get big enough yet it was too hot to get close enough to add more wood, tires etc what ever burned
    ah good times

I have to respect your dedication to thoroughly researching the topic, I think more research is required though, possibly by all of us, though I think that even though it is winter here (well nearing the end), living in a wet tropical region, I'm not too sure about how many heaters I will find.

But we must check

Russell.

Aha! Epineh, I see you have the true spirit and cohesive arguementative skills needed by our fledgling organisation.

Along with our appointed board of directors, Pointclod, Dertsap and Mike Jeffers (oh and all your significant others for tax purposes) we should be able to lobby congress, the UN, Oxfam and Greenpeace, and any other tree hugger organisation for what I (as chief scaremonger) propose to be the sole saviour of the planet- the "Dynamic Reduction In Nasty Karcinogens" or DRINK.

We shall boycot non DRINK organisations (or get others to do it actualy while we rigorously research DRINK) We shall agressively advocate having as much DRINK as physicaly possible and on as much occasions as budgetary constraints allow (we can overun on budget- sod it, all govts do it, we would be considered irresponsible if we didn't).

I propose we be based in the Congo so that we receive Third World Aid and get a superflous set of sychophantic psychologists to promote our cause along with Sachi and Sachi (phew, ran out os s's).

I'm taking spread betting on how long it takes 'till I get either a) arrested or b) a Peerage

Well the tree huggers in this country have already participated in DRINK programs of their own, and are fully supportive of smoking in general, so much in fact they like to grow their own "special" low greenhouse brand - Green Under Nourished Jamacian Apple... or GUNJA for short. :rainfro:

I'n not too sure if that translates for you but there you go

As a non smoker it seems a little weird jumping on this bandwagon, but for the sake of balance I will do what I can...for balance.

Now to go research...never said I was a non-DRINKer !

Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    ...I'm taking spread betting on how long it takes 'till I get either a) arrested or b) a Peerage
    The Pee rage will probably occur very quickly.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

LMAO @ Pee Rage.

A doctor mate of mine told me how this happens... apparently you have chemical inhibitors in your bladder that block the "brain! need to pee" message until it's sort of full. However, upon drinking lots of beer you flush these inhibitors out and so... once you go for the first pee, you inevitably have to go every ten mins or so (I swear that's what he said).

As an aside.. I just found out that here, in the UK, the Govt is actualy employing people to check whether pubs are complying with the ban- secretly.

Can you just see the Job Description?

WANTED:
    Male/ Female over 18 to wander about pubs and drink lots of beer. Dress code essential- must be scruffy and carrying copy of the Sun newspaper with betting slips sticking out of back pocket. Swearing and cursing at the recent footbal results is a must for this highly sought after position. Transport will be provided in the form of taxis everywhere (London pizza and kebab allowance applies). Priority will be given to candidates who can demonstrate the ability to chat up barmaids and complain about their girlfriend/ wife. Linguistic ability to talk pish a distinct advantage.

*falls off his lab chair* lol

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    LMAO @ Pee Rage.

A doctor mate of mine told me how this happens... apparently you have chemical inhibitors in your bladder that block the "brain! need to pee" message until it's sort of full. However, upon drinking lots of beer you flush these inhibitors out and so...
    I believe that. After all when you are drinking pretty much all the inhibitors for anything are flushed out.

Green Under Nourished Jamacian Apple... or GUNJA for short

Russel, good on you m8! Here in NZ we call it a "west coast crop". It's part of the government's program to promote self sustainable farming methods...... It's a real imaginative effort from government's side but it's the farming communities that pushes the bounderaries of imaginative capatilism, "high flying" etc, etc. They even caused job creation for the police! To such an extent that the law enforcement segment are helping to set alight (from time to time) this unique sector of agriculture......
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Electric radiator heaters in the middle of summer? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Yer the rain, wind and low temperatures :violin:

John

The poster is from the UK. Its pretty cold and miserable there most of the time, since there is precious little to break the airflow from the cold atlantic year round.

But lets get this straight: Banning smoking is about giving non smokers choices. Spend a few nights in French or German restaurants and see how you like the stench of cigarette smoke on your clothes. It comes as a shock to most americans who have become accustomed to clean air no matter where they go. The worst part about the 2 countries mentioned is that (particularly in small towns) there are no options in winter. You either go hungry and freeze or endure the acrid atmosphere in the smokey hollows so that you can get something to eat.

Since tobacco is a plant, I think burning it is CO2 neutral, but then if one has to get into all the addictive (and toxic) substances added by the cigarette companies it is a different story completely.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post

So THIS is how the rest of the world thinks.. I was wondering what you guys thought caused the green house effect... And here all this time I thought it was "us" in the US!

Quote Originally Posted by keitholivier View Post
    But lets get this straight: Banning smoking is about giving non smokers choices.
    Not so sure about the use of the word choices Keith - banning smoking is about giving non smokers what they wanted. Choice is either for everyone or it isn't choice - it's dictat.

Choice would have allowed for smoking clubs/pubs/restaurants and non-smoking clubs/pubs/restaurants.

On a more cheery note: A friend's (20 year old non-smoking) daughter says she preffered it in night clubs when they smelled of smoke - now she reckons they just smell of stale sweat and f*rt.

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    ......Choice would have allowed for smoking clubs/pubs/restaurants and non-smoking clubs/pubs/restaurants......
    Yes the health freaks and social manipulators overlook that in a truly free society this would be the correct way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Yes the health freaks and social manipulators overlook that in a truly free society this would be the correct way to go.
    Dear Geof,

Those people do not want a free society. They want a society where they can boss people about as much as possible. The more rules the better, as far as they are concerned.

Incidentally, the government's argument for the smoking ban was that it was necessary to protect non-smokers from the "harm" of passive smoking, not to protect their feelings. I believe that the largest study on PS looked at the health of families of heavy smokers and could find no evidence that the non-smoking family members were harmed. Naturally, any scientific evidence disputing PS was ridiculed.

Sound familiar???

Best wishes

Martin

its a self rightious kick
    smoking crack is becoming more acceptable because crack heads are sick due to their "addictive personalities " ,
    smokers are dirt in these freaks eyes yet most smokers try to be courtious toward non smokers , who is the one who is ignorant ?

the biggest pile of crap here in canada is the fact the non smoking lobbiests claim that the health system suffers due to the fact smokers will eventually need treatment for cancer , stroke etc , one pak of smokes costs 9 dollars , about 6-7 dollars is tax which goes straight to the government approx $2300/year tax every smoker who smokes a pack a day pays in tax , compare this contribution to an rsp , i would say the contribution the smoker makes far exceeds the hospital care needed to treat people plus the fact we have to contribute toward our medical to begin with

we had smokes being smuggled into the country because the prices are to high , when it was put across to the government that it was necessary to drop the price of smokes in order to discontiue the illegal trade , their answer was if they dropped the price they would loose too much revenue ,
    they didnt say anything about health , it was and is about the money

Here in Toronto smoking in the workplace is a 5,000 dollar fine for the smoker and up to 20,000for the employer.A truck driver smoking is considersd smoking in the workplace.Outside bars or coffee shops,smoking is not allowed under umbrellas.85 year olds have to have their Tim Hortons and smokes outside in the Freezing Canadian winter.Being a heavy smoker myself,I semi agree with the bans,but we should have a choice;smoking or non smoking places.If we all quit where will our goverments get the 6or7bucks a pack tax?Toilet paper?
    I can't afford 6or7 bucks a po.Better continue smoking.
    Smokers are not a burden on the health system,as we die much sooner than non smokers.
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Page 1 of 2 12