586,121 active members*
3,015 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A few issues with my VF2...

We have a 97' VF-2 at work, this machine has had limited use in our shop but now we want to try an utilize it to work closer to it's potential. I have been doing some basic set ups on it and I have encountered a few problem with the machine.

1. The spinle does not always index to the positon needed to allow a tool change to happen. When the machine is attempting a tool change the spindle turns slowly making a clicking noise and then alarms out. If I open the door and move the spindle back and forth by hand, then try it again, most of the time the tool change will happen.

2. Next........ I was rigid tapping some holes today. The material was 1018 mild steel.... 1.5" thick. I used the correct drill for the tap with a 75%thread engagement, and I tried several speeds and feeds suitalbe for the material in question. The machines alarmed out over current in the Z direction. I tried 5 times using both fine and course taps with their respective drillsizes and I was only able to get 1 hole to tap through and pull back out. Any ideas.

3. Lastly..... I am in the process of interfacing my laptop witn the VF-2. I have the cables and the card so I'm good with that. I can get the the haas to send to my laptop via rs232 cable but no NC data comes into the computer. When I hit send on the haas I get a recieving message on the computer. The haas tells me it completes sending the info but my computer never finishes recieving. Also if I send from the computer to the haas the computer will show that the file is sending, but the haas will have a message WAITING. I have the Baud at 9600 on both machines and the % at the start and end is set..... to the best of my knowledge everything is as it should be.

Maybe some one has some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoNH View Post
    1. The spinle does not always index
    Might have to call tech on that one.

2. I was rigid tapping some holes today. The material was 1018 mild steel.... 1.5" thick. I used the correct drill for the tap with a 75%thread engagement, and I tried several speeds and feeds suitalbe for the material in question. The machines alarmed out over current in the Z direction. I tried 5 times using both fine and course taps with their respective drillsizes and I was only able to get 1 hole to tap through and pull back out. Any ideas.
    Big tap I assume? 75% thread is way too much IMNSHO. Especially in steel. I'd look at the thread spec (i.e. 2b) and use the biggest hole you can. Probably around 60% engagement or less I'd guess.

3. I am in the process of interfacing my laptop witn the VF-2. I have the cables and the card so I'm good with that. I can get the the haas to send to my laptop via rs232 cable but no NC data comes into the computer. When I hit send on the haas I get a recieving message on the computer. The haas tells me it completes sending the info but my computer never finishes recieving. Also if I send from the computer to the haas the computer will show that the file is sending, but the haas will have a message WAITING. I have the Baud at 9600 on both machines and the % at the start and end is set..... to the best of my knowledge everything is as it should be.
    Settings have to match on both exactly. Start there, then check the wiring.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Sorry about that on the tapping I was using a 7/8-14 and a 7/8-9, 13/16 hole for the 14 and a 49/64 for the 9. We ended up tapping them on a bridge port with a 5 hp motor and there was no problem at all.

As far as the communication issue. I'll double check that the settings are the same between the 2. I'll check the cables as well, even though they are new, not to say that means there couldn't be a problem there.

LorenzoNH,

I am not a Haas guy so I am unfamiliar with Haas requirements but recently did a setup on my CNC control for uploading files via the RS232 connection.

Are you sure you have the correct cable? On my machine I had to use a Null Modem cable adapter that reversed the send and receive signals on one end of the cable. I bought a null modem adapter at Radio Shack that plugged on to one end of the cable and it fixed my problem. Haas may not have this requirement.

Just something you might want to check. Good luck in finding a solution to your problem.

John

orientation: when you remove the headstock cover you will see the shot pin and orient ring that stop the spindle when the limit switch is released the machine tells the drive to stop the spindle the orientation ring gets worn usually or the shot pin could be leaking air. you can slow down the orientation speed with parameters 73 and 74 if the orient ring is worn play with the numbers and you will see the speed change you have to orient in high and lo gear. it is easier for the machine to stop in high gear so you can also always command a high gear m42 before you do a tool change.

the tap problem not sure you could have a weak z aixs motor or need to clean the brushes or the encoder belt could be shot and you do not have good spindle speed feedback.

the communications i would try to send and receive using hyper terminal and x modem you can find hyperterminal for free on any window operating system. ohm your communications cable. there are a lot of things to check on rs 232 i can go on there is a lot of rs 232 info in this forum you should do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by serviceman View Post
    The communications i would try to send and receive using hyper terminal and x modem you can find hyperterminal for free on any window operating system. ohm your communications cable. there are a lot of things to check on rs 232 i can go on there is a lot of rs 232 info in this forum you should do a search.
    Thanks for the info on the orientation for the tool changer, I'll take a look at that.

As for the tap I used the formula of RPM/ Teeth per inch, which worked out to be the same as the suggested tap feeds from Machinist Toolbox. Is there a test that can be performed or any relays that can be checked before I have to call someone in? The load meter just spikes right out and that's it..... dead

As for the RS232 cable..... this is new ground for me, getting the machines to talk to one another. The cable, ends and PCMIA card are new from Shop Floor Automation. there is some kind of signal transfering between the 2. I'll check it out tomorrow and post some additional info with regard to what is happening.

Thanks

if the load meter pegs when you go to rtap check your encoder belt. how much do you pay someone to come out there?