586,103 active members*
3,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Musical Instrument Design and Construction > Solidworks Guitar Tutorials are ready...

Solidworks Guitar Tutorials are ready...

Hello All,

I just wanted to drop you all a quick note, and tell you that I have listed my first set of tutorials for solid body electrics on ebay.

http://www.cncguitar.org:7171

And I have also posted a tease video here:

http://www.cncguitar.org:7171/sw_teaser/

These are a complete set of videos, with a fully integrated menu system. There are 14 videos in total (12-20min average running time each) that detail a complete step-by-step process for creating and carving a guitar in solidworks.

I am working on the machining videos with mastercam next, and I will have those within a couple of weeks.

THanks all for your interest. I will be glad to answer any questions ([email protected])

Do you have any teasers or screeshots of your videos? might help with sales

Hello,

Yes, I just placed the teaser on the site on this link:

http://www.cncguitar.org:7171/sw_teaser/

thanks!

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'm not sure what you are demonstrating with your videos. Is your goal to teach people how to use SolidWorks or is it to teach them how to design guitars?

I think that there would be more value if you showed people how to do more intense surfacing...but it looks like you are only just touching on some very basic modeling concepts.

Just my .02

My intent is to show people in this forum, how to design a guitar in solidworks from scratch. Along the way, they will also learn many concepts about working with solidoworks, but the intent is again to focus on guitars.

After this, I then bring the model into mastercam, and will be showing the complete maching process of the guitr designed in solidworks.

Surfaces are used to cut the bodies, comfort zones, neck zones etc. using these, one can then modify them to design many other guitar models.

The SW tutorial is about 3 hours long, of focused guitar design.

That is my intent. My intent is NOT to show VERY ADVANCED surfacing as you call it. They are focused at a beginner, that what to get going in designing and machining guitars.

my .4 cents...

The videos look like they will be perfect for me. I look to purchase in the near future.

it seems like you are selling to a limited market. Solidworks is not cheap...it goes for about $5000 per seat. Not to mention that you need an up to date PC to run it. MasterCAM is similar...I believe this is about $10k for a license that includes surface machining capabilities. I guess what I am saying is that this is not amateur grade stuff...but that you are promoting your vids for amateurs. Probably the only people who are interested are those who already have access to the software but don't know how to design guitars.

I think if you developed similar videos centered around lower priced software you would probably sell more.

Good luck, it looks like you are putting a lot of time into this.

I would agree with you GuitarEng. However, I think that there is still MUCH value from watching these. Let me explain why:

The concepts for machining are the same no matter what software you use. You will learn what pocketing, surfacing, roughing, finishing, profiling etc are. Then using these, one will be able to bring the concepts into a cam package no matter what software they use.

Like I stated in a previous post, I would not let software cost be a detriment. The copy of SW I have I acquired with a student discount. Most have a student or know of a student in their family. I am not making money with the software, so I could not afford a full package. This is "just" a hobby for me. Also, here are a couple of other alternatives:

Alibre: When I first used this software a bit, (you cna download a FULL blown demo at alibre.com) I was surprised at how similar it is to solidworks! 500.00 bucks, and you can own a full copy.

visualmill (from mecsoft) again about the same cost (and I am sure there are others out there) that using the maching steps learned in my videos, will again allow you to machine a guitar. I was quoted a 600.00 price for the software about 3 months ago.

So you see, there are alternatives. What I did not have when I got started, is a set of instructions like these, that would have helped me to bridge the gap between design and manufacture. It took me a while, and lots of test cuts, until I got to this level.

This is where I am targeting these videos at: The beginner that wants to bridge this gap, no matter WHAT software they decide to use.

(also, you can pick up "older" versions of solidworks etc on ebay, for a few hundred bucks.).

Peace...