586,104 active members*
3,292 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Weird Seemingly useless part on CNC Taig Mill, Can I remove this? (pic)
Page 1 of 2 12

Weird Seemingly useless part on CNC Taig Mill, Can I remove this? (pic)

Hello ,

Can someone tell me if I can remove the part shown below in the picture? I unscrewed the bolt perpendicular to it, but it still seems very snug in there. I want to mount some linear encoders on the x-axis table, but this obviously foils my plans. Am I not pulling hard enough? Is it a press-fit or something?

If it's function is important, can I mill it down to clear the area where I want to mount the rails?

Thanks very much all,

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill_large.jpg  

That post appears to be a solid stop for the "X" axis. You do not have the moveable pieces in place in the slot on the front of the table. It is either pressed in or threaded in, with the set screw to keep it in place (possibly to keep it from turnng?)

That baby is definitely stuck in there very well. I grabbed it with vicegrips and twisted and turned it in every direction. I'm pretty close to milling it off via the mill itself, which is kind of sadistic to watch and facilitate.

Any other ideas anyone?!

Thanks!,

Steve

I would just mill it right down, That way it is easy and if it has any other hidden reason for being there it will still be there.

chris.
    "you don't even need cnc if your handy with a torch"

good luck !!

That's a bit nicer...

Murphy's law: as soon as you do remove it, you'll find out that it is absolutely critical for some arbitrary need. Leave it there and you'll never, ever run into a need for it....

Erm.. looks to me like a Cal Pin,

You sure it aint for like setting X0 and Y0... say you know the pin's diameter and you know the cutter's diameter and you know the distance to the pin centre from X0 Y0 then you only need to touch on to the side of the pin (use 0.020mm thick tissue) in X and Y , set X and Y 0, adjust this value by how far the pin is from actual X0 and Y0 and your tool is set.

Dunno if this is the case, but it is a sure thing that you will never, ever need it untill you mill it down then you'll wake in the middle of the night thinking "bloody hell! I'm a genius! it's be a good idea if I stuck a cal pin at... oh, oh dear".
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

If it went in, it's got to be able to come out.

Try taking a torch to it to heat it up a bit, when it cools and contracts, it might help break whatever oxidation that's holding it in. An overnight soak in WD40 could do it too.

I think it's worth trying to save the hole anyway, you might figure out it's indispensible later.

The purpose of the pin is to be used as a stop. Adjustable sliding blocks can be attached to the front of the table. The pin can also be used with automatically reversing table feeds to actuate the reverse mechanism.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

The hole for the stop pin goes straight through to the leadscrew. If you remove it you need to plug the hole so you might as well just mill it off. It is pressed in as well as having the set screw. I had the saddle off when I removed mine.

Cheers,
    Walt

Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate your input and suggestions.

doanwannapickle,

I'm going to follow your suggestion because you have actually taken it off, thanks a lot !

This forum is great!

Steve

Sorry Steve , I kinda of was making a joke but then I didn,t think was funny and couldn,t figure out how to delete the post. Anyway I just need to keep my big mouth shut http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images...withstupid.gif
    :withstupi

hehe, it's okay! Too frequently you run into people where you cannot resist to make a comment :P

Take care!

Steve

Hey steve,

Remember me? I built the alternative style column support for the Taig. We had discussed methods months ago.

I too have always wondered what it did

I have never messed with it as I assume it was intentionally put there for a reason.

I would be wary of milling it off because what if it really does serve some (unknown to us) purpose and it needs to be removed some day for whatever reason and you cant grab onto it now that it is milled off.

I would ask taig tools what its purpose is and if it needs to be there and if not how to remove it. Or if they say it isnt issue mill it

Oh yes, I remember you! I'm still thinking about ways to improve the Z-column, I hate realigning it

I want to add linear encoders for position feedback, so removing the peg is a must. Mounting a linear encoder to an axis that is moving on another axis doesn't give much room for flexibility.. I'd never remove something that I didn't have to, it'd be silly and not worth the risk.

I need to mill off this peg, if something terrible happens, I'll replace it! I suppose I could drill and tap it then pull it out if I have to replace it.

Steve

It's a vestigial part, Taig put it there as a stop for the table but never got around to designing stops that would go on the front t-slot.
    Try heating the area with a heat gun and twisting it out w/vise grips, or take the mill apart and press it out. Some people have just cut it off as well.

Anyway, it does nothing and won't hurt anything if removed (other than if you screw up removing it and hurt something else)
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

The Famous Nick Carter, Thank you very much! Also, thank you for providing the best resource on Taig products on the web! (never had the chance to thank you , but have always been very grateful)

Steve

Pull it out. It's likely the burr from the setscrew is keeping it from coming out easy.
    I'd clamp the vise-grips or small vice on it, put a block of metal next to the pin, then drive a wedge between the block and the vise-grip jaws.
    A screwdriver would me a suitable wedge, as would a cold chisel.
    If it moves only a little, move the block to the other side, and repeat, moving the vise-grips down the pin, as required.
    You want to plug the hole, as it will catch crap, or deliver it to your leadscrew...
    Maybe milling isn't such a bad idea... Put the setscrew back in first if you decide to mill it.

Re: Weird Seemingly useless part on CNC Taig Mill, Can I remove this? (pic)

Well, I just got mine out. What a pain in the butt that was. It goes in deep, about an 1 1/4 inch. They must have had to pound the crap out of that peg to get it in there.
    As for the purpose, I can only seeing it being useful for the mill. Once you convert to CNC, I can't think of a reason for it.

Page 1 of 2 12