Evening all - I have started designing Frankenrouter. It will use up some (hopefully all) of the bits and pieces I have accumulated while building a few machines. Frankie will be 2900mm long and 700mm wide. So its a "long" half sheet machine. Haven't decided on the Z height yet. It will be made from ply and aluminium. Some parts will be ply laminated with aluminium. The gantry maybe cast CSA cement. Early days. So I have blocked out some geometry and details in CAD. Will develop it over the next few weeks... The mantra is make everything myself, spend as less $$$ as possible. I need a long machine for making future gantry moulds. I have been very impressed by the stiffness of the high rail mdf base I made for BrevisHD/YaG on another thread. Since its long I thought it would go up against a wall quite well, use the high rail at the back and a low rail at the front for easy loading of material.... Will use round rails as these are cheaper and I'd like to see what they are about. The Z axis will be square rail as I have that. Plus depending on the length of the gantry I may have square for that. It will be driven by 10:1 N17 steppers using 10mm AT belts from another router I have. The z will be a ballscrew I have.. So I'm breaking down a router called Brevis-3 and mashing it up with surplus parts to create Frankenrouter. Will have to wait for a lightning storm to enliven it... Peter