586,721 active members*
3,216 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 18 of 19 816171819

Re: Design & Build of Frankenrouter

Hi All - I've cut Foil No2. Used no backing mould just self supported. Went OK but next time will put a small tab near the tip. This will be a good training exercise for the new owner. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 start - long shot A.jpg   5 profiling +2mm A.jpg   7 rough shape A.jpg   11 rebbat nice A.jpg  

It would be better if it was a mineral casting.

Hi Mr - MaW - yes and it would be even better if it was carbon fibre Well Frankie will move along late next month. The owner is here for training late next month then Frankie's packed up and shipped out. The next project is called "leftovers" it will be made from as many surplus parts I have and can use. It will be a 5 axis machine and I hope to cast the trunnion from UHPC and maybe the base. I think I'll get a summary together about Frankie and close the thread out.... Peter

better yet lets make it from transparent aluminium, the whole machine

Hey Ard - Thats a great idea. I haven't tried to get any ALON before but at E=334Gpa its got to be a winner! Peter
    Aluminium oxynitride - Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hey Ard - Thats a great idea. I haven't tried to get any ALON before but at E=334Gpa its got to be a winner! Peter
    Aluminium oxynitride - Wikipedia
    I can't wait till they start making big windows in spaceships with it. Then in cars and finally house windows...

Hi all- A little info on ALON. Peter

Hi All - My Frankenrouters story is coming to an end. The new owner will be here for three days of training (starting tomorrow) then it will be shipped interstate to its new home to make surfboard fins and other things that he wants to make. I expect Frankie will exceed his expectations. That makes a new space to start Lanky, a big mother machine to make baby machines... Will be UHPC, carbon fibre and laminated aluminium... We'll see what transpires. By Frankie Peter

Hi Ard - Speaking of ALON. I do creative work and composite engineering work for a guy that makes very expensive titanium and CF bicycles. These run over the $30k AUD mark. he has a customer that wants a really expensive bike so I discussed ALON. ALONs never been in a bike before and they are very excited to try to do this. So I may get to play with some of this stuff!! Peter

Hi All - Well I've started packing Frankie up for transport. Bought all the materials for the crate and have screwed down the Z axis to the machine bed. Soon it will be gone! Next machine is a 5 axis jobber. Something like Frankie but with a trunnion and rotary... new thread I suppose... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pack 1.jpg   pack 2.jpg  

Hi all - Yesterday I built the pallet for Frankie and landed it. Now to build the box around it... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flying 1.jpg   landed 1.jpg  

Evening All - Well Frankie's adventure story here has come to an end. Its packed up ready to go. Now to figure out how to get it on my trailer! I think I'll have to get a come along. So wait for its consignment info then he's off to the south west Victoria... for a new adventure. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nearly closed.jpg  

Hi all & sundry - Frankie's waiting patiently for the courier. I'm away for a week so it will leave after I get back some time. I think I'm going to build "leftover" which has a XY of 700mmx2500mm and uses up my belts and various bits from 2 other small machines. I'll build it with a very high Z around 450-500mm since I have the rails to do that... It will be a test for the long gantry (nearly 3m long) planned for Lanky... new thread soon. Peter

Evening All - Well Frankies local story is about to end. He's on the trailer ready for dispatch tomorrow... Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Its in.jpg   the lift begins.jpg   on its way.jpg  

Hi All - Frankie hasn't arrived yet at its new home. Peter

Morning All - Frankie has arrived and been unpacked and tested. All good. So it starts its new life in South west Victoria making surfboard fins and stuff. Peter

Looks good. Kind of a momus like concept.

Hi Harry - I don't think Momus is the only high rail design out there. Many industrial large scale machines have been high rail well before Momus and me. I have made a few routers and the high rail design has worked out to be the stiffest and the best dust management design I have made. Lanky my current full sheet build is high rail too. Peter

You are right - what you said makes perfect sense and solves a lot of issues.

Hi Harry - Heres one I like. Peter

Page 18 of 19 816171819