587,008 active members*
3,190 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Turret Indexing Problem SL4

I am having problem with MoriSeiki CNC Lathe Model SL4. The turret is indexing correctly for tool no 1,2,3,& 4 but if i try to index to Tool no 5-10 ,the turret keeps on rotating. Can i get help from anyone?

Turret woes

First thing Id do is make sure all your cabling is clean and tight.Next check to see if you have an encoder or a set of prox switches on the turret for position ing.
    If encoder,with the turret unclamped,rotate the encoder slowly,when you get to an index,the turret should turn.If it goes off on its own,Id look into the encoder.Bad wiring,contaminated glass.
    If you have prox switches,make sure they are clean and adjusted correctly.If the turret is hydraulicly driven,you may be able to adjust its speed.
    Its also worth looking into the selinoids that decide turret index direction ad the relays that drive them.Nothing is ever clean enough...
    This may sound stupid,but is the turret balanced?I had an Ikegai that did weird turret things when it had tools on only the first few stations and none in the last.Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

turret index

hi, i think your sl4 has prox switches for turret count i just had an sl3 with a one bad and it would skip stations , also check prox switch dog setting should be about 1mm from switch, if you have yamatake m2fs5895-901 or omron tl-s2fn-b-9 good luck fineing them , mori send me 2 wire proxs and the machine has 3 wire type and would not work, nakatome

Hello ndp
    I'm prety sure that you have some proximity switch for tool position codding bad, (or unadjusted, if you lucky guy) and an original spare is wright solution. I was tryed in past time replaced original with some Balluf type, but wit additon an relay. Good luck

SL-4 Turret Switches

Omron makes the TL series Prox switch for the units that have the black plastic match box like shape. You did not say the control and some need a little extra help from a pull up resistor. For machines that need round switches you can't beat the pricing of Automation Direct.

Thanx everybody for your replies. My machine is still down. We have checked the proximity switches and cleaned them. Yes they are positioned correctly ( gap of @ 1mm ). For every tool position we should have 2 switches in contact ( different combinations from 6 switches ). What i figured out is one particular switch is not working viz responsible for the 6 faulty index positions.( I checked the 24V supply on particular wires in back pannel ). Now my problem is to find out whether the switch is wrong or there is some problem with the wiring / contacts. Pl help me to find out the exact problem. Thanx

Sl-4 Turret

You do not say what control you have. All the factory controls have diagnostics. When you see the turret rotate around you should see the switches input to the control update on the display.
    If you hit e-stop at the exact time to get a stop contdition with the offending tool position in the correct place, the switch input pattern should match the electrical schematic. If it does, but the turret still does not stop and clamp, there is the rare condition that the switch does not reach it's on condition before the turret has gone past. By the way, if you remove the rear turret cover to personally inspect the switches, be sure the slotted end of the pipe is in the correct position or coolant will shoot out the back turret tool postion.

Lou

The control on this machine is FANUC 10T. I finally called the service guy and he told me that 2 out of 6 proximity switches are bad. I had ordered them from OMRON ( TL-S2FN-B-9) and the lead time is 3 days. Hopefully i will get them by today. The doubt of LX3 was correct.
    Yes i had opened the back cover of the turret and now i will take care in putting it back. Thanks for your advice LX3.
    Hopefully machine will be up by end of the day today.

Quote Originally Posted by ndp View Post
    The control on this machine is FANUC 10T. I finally called the service guy and he told me that 2 out of 6 proximity switches are bad. I had ordered them from OMRON ( TL-S2FN-B-9) and the lead time is 3 days. Hopefully i will get them by today. The doubt of LX3 was correct.
    Yes i had opened the back cover of the turret and now i will take care in putting it back. Thanks for your advice LX3.
    Hopefully machine will be up by end of the day today.
    Hello,

Can you please tell me if you were successful in purchasing the Omron proximity switch? If so, can you give me details of the supplier? I currently have the same problem and am struggling to source a switch.

Thanks in advance

Joseph

TL-S2FN-B-9

Hi guys I'm in the situation I need to purchase these proxies,need to find a supplier with some stock, any ideas?

Thanks
    Nigel

hard prox switch to find

i retro fitted the turret index count with graingers short roller switch 2xc12 and made new mounting brackets like the steel ones for the slite difference in switchs also you only use two wires input signal and 0v

We had the same problem, fixed it by replacing a couple of the switches, and a few months later it was back! Found out that the coolant was welling up in that back cover and causing a short situation which inturn ruined the switch. Solution--replaced the o rings around the coolant tube, and drilled a weep hole in the bottom of the back cover. Have not had a problem since--knock on wood. the machine is an SL4 with 2000GII control