Well, I've got a good start on my final 3 axis CNC router. This will be my 3rd machine and I thought it was time to start the build log. My first machine was for me. The second was for my friend and it resides in his workshop and I can use it anytime I want. After I built his, I sold my first router on CraigsList. I was pretty surprised by the amount of interest. I got a fair price for it and sold it to the first guy who came to see it. So the proceeds from that sale became the seed money for this build.

This machine will be mostly steel but more importantly, it will be built around some main components; Primarily, A Thomson 8" linear actuator for the Z-axis and ClearPath Servo's paired with NEMA34, 10:1 low backlash planetary gearboxes driving helical rack and pinion gears on the X and Y axis'. Z- axis uses a 20mm ballscrew with a 10mm pitch. The linear bearings are 30mm Hiwin units that were bought new, old stock.

I want this machine to be very rigid and able to cut aluminum and non-ferrous metals with a good finish and of course, hardwood, and various plastics. Basically a fast machine and a rigid frame.

2.2KW watercooled spindle - They worked well on my first 2 builds

VFD - To be determined. I'm happily surprised with how well the LaPond unit I got from Amazon is working for my friend but I'm curious about the Hitachi units.

UCCNC for software - Worked well on my first two builds and I'm familiar with it and its getting better all the time with lots of support on their forum. I'll probably use the UC300ETH board for this one. I used the UC400ETH on my friends.

All input is appreciated so if you have a suggestion please post it in this thread. Here's a couple pics of the router I built for my friend. It wasn't 100% done (are they ever?) in the pics.

This is the build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-wo...10480-cnc.html

On with it then...