I have a 6040 table top CNC that I use for engraving and cutting holes in 1/8" thick aluminum rack panels for custom electronic fabrication. I am using g-code ripper with a touch probe to map out the surface so I can get uniform depth engraving.

The touch probe is long enough that I have to slide my spindle motor up in its slide. Then I have to move the spindle motor lower so the cutting tools can reach the surface to be cut.

I'm using a 1500 W ac spindle motor which is 80 mm diameter. It's heavy enough that I have to be prepared to catch it every time I loosen the clamp screws.

It would be nice to have a linear positioner that I could just crank up or down 2" or so.

I'm thinking a manual dovetail positioner would be ideal but an Internet search hasn't turned up something suitable so far.

The mechanism probably needs to be aluminum to avoid adding a lot of weight to the z axis.

Another requirement would be that it doesn't mess up the spindle tramming too much, but I'm not talking super precision. I'm engraving the panels to label connectors and controls plus a name for the unit and usually my logo and company name.

G-code ripper and the touch probe have enabled me to make professional looking panels. I fill the engraved lettering with acrylic paint.

Any ideas for a straightforward way to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to invest a few hundred dollars in a solution.