586,094 active members*
4,025 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > 16i-MA 4th Axis Behaves as an Index???

16i-MA 4th Axis Behaves as an Index???

Hi folks,

Does anyone here happen to know what needs to be changed to have a 16i control assign a 4th axis as a fully controlled axis instead of just doing indexing. I have a 4th axis that I've configured as axis A and it works, but the control treats it as an indexer and will not let you include in a block with any other axis move. This also means that it does not maintain holding torque. It only applies torque when commanded to move, then it cuts off that holding torque immediately upon completing the move, as would be expected for an indexer with a brake.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: 16i-MA 4th Axis Behaves as an Index???

You will need to activate some options for having simultaneously 4 axes control.Call the Fanuc guys for activate these options ,there are not so expensive
    Good luck

Pretty sure its not a missing option, as the machine was originally purchased (by previous owner) with a 4th axis that supposedly was capable of synchronized motion. The old 4th axis ended up being removed and sold and they had "a guy" help them with getting the control changes to deactivate the previous 4th axis. That said, I've scoured the parameter manual in search of anything that would indicate designating an axis as an index type versus a non-index type and haven't found anything that seems relevant.

Where did you get the parameters to re-enable the A axis? It sounds like you may have the "Index table" configured rather than addition axis control.
    Its also possible the PMC has logic controlling the table through PMC axis control as an option for indexer functions. Check PMC Keep relay functions if you have a list for this machine.

tcomm,
    Maybe check/adjust the values of parameter 5501 bit 0 and 1

Mostly from memory. Bumped 9900 from 3 axis to 4 to get it to register the extra amp, bumped up the cnc controlled number of axes from 3 to 4 in parameter 1010, then completed the FSSB and servo parameter initialization for the new axis. I'll have to do some digging to see if there's anything in the ladder.

@oetkbyentc Mostly from memory. Bumped 9900 from 3 axis to 4 to get it to register the extra amp, bumped up the cnc controlled number of axes from 3 to 4 in parameter 1010, then completed the FSSB and servo parameter initialization for the new axis as well as set up the ROTx, pulses for one revolution, etc. I'll have to do some digging to see if there's anything in the ladder, but nothing jumped out at a first glance. By virtue of the fact that it took a 4th axis, it would seem that axis expansion was already optioned in the control.

@freakycnc What guide covers that parameter? I can't find it in any of the 16i or Alpha manuals. I just want to make sure I understand what I would be poking at.

Edit: The indexing options listed in B–63010EN/02 jump from 5500 to 5511. I did see that 5501 parameter mentioned in the 0i manual as ITI, but I don't see the same parameter in the 16i manuals, so I'm not sure if ti would apply or not.

I suspect he may have looked at a "B" manual or has a newer "A" manual than you or I. But may be worth a try as I don't see any parameters or G bits in the "A" that enable index table. But it may be enabled/disabled through the option bit on the "A" series vs 5501 in the "B" series.

Just to tie off on this, it turned out thare was an option parameter that was turned on which should not have been. Apparently, when the 4th axis was removed a while back, the person that did it played around in the option parameters as well. Once the incorrect option parameter was removed, everything started working perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk