586,077 active members*
3,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Squaring the Spindle ( newbie )

Can somebody here show me how to square a spindle on the table using a dial indicator with a magnetic base. I have heard about SPINDLE SQUARE and EZ-Tram , but I do not what to spend more money on other devices. Just wanted t use what I currently have

The easiest way to square a spindle I have found is to fit a tool to the spindle that the magnetic base will stick to and set you dial indicator as wide as possible and clock the table. You should be able to swing the indicator over the table and square your spindle that way. That should get you very close. This assumes the geometry of you machine is in good order. I used to use this method to square up a twin spindle mill, as one of the spindles occasionally went out of whack after a crash. You can always confirm the set up by getting your largest diameter cutter and milling some scrap looking for any double cutting and adjusting if there is any. Test in X and Y always.
    I hope this is what you were looking for.
    Cheers
    Daza

I find it easiest to tram the spindle using a simple adaptor in a collet to hold the dial indicator offset from centre by about three inches. I then place a piece of plate glass on the ways (having stoned off any burrs) and swing the spindle (POWER OFF PLEASE) by hand running the dti over the glass. If you don't use the glass and run on the ways, you can all too easily ruin a dti on the Tee slots in a moment of inattention.
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK