586,379 active members*
2,593 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > CNC Machining Centers > SCM MORBIDELLI AUTHOR 600K WITH XILOG

SCM MORBIDELLI AUTHOR 600K WITH XILOG

Good evening guys and gals

This is my first post as i've just joined, so bare with me if things are not in the right place etc.

Now, i've been with my company for 25 years and we've had our SCM Morbidelli Authour 600K since 2000 running windows 95 and Xilog, we also have an SCM Universal flatbed since 2011 running windows 98 with Xilog Plus.

Our products used to be office furniture but now is High end kitchens.

So thats a bit of background....My question is....What software do you guys use to write or generate your programs?

I still have to look at drawings and in put every detail manually as we've always done.

It feels like we are 20 years behind as we just carry on with the basic info that we were taught when we first purchased the machine.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Regards

Matt

Re: SCM MORBIDELLI AUTHOR 600K WITH XILOG

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the late reply. I would recommend AlphaCAM if you are making a lot of one-off kitchens

If you find that you are making similar parts (carcass gables for example) with varying dimensions, then maybe a parametric macro would be useful.
    This is simply a program that has some in-built intelligence to make decisions on hole placement etc depending on the DX, DY and DZ that you enter when selecting the program in PanelMac.

This will allow you to very quickly machine a whole kitchen of gables using the same program over and over, just by entering the required DX and DY each time you select the program.

The same can be done for cabinet doors as well.

Whether its AlphaCAM or macros, I can help.

Send me a PM if you are interested

Loko

We just replaced a 636 Top with a new X200. I do all my custom parts in AutoCAD, and used AlphaCAM to generate toolpaths and code. For cabinets, I use a custom AutoCAD macro that generates the parts, and AlphaCAM to nest them.

The easiest way, once you get set up, is with a cabinet program, like Cabinet Vision or Mozaik. These can take your design and output ready to run code.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hello

My name is Miquel, nice to meet you

I just bought a Morbidelli Author 600 KS. Can we exchange emails to share knowledge?

I am new to the CNC world

Thank you

HI I am able to help with ALphacam macros too.

Hello, can we also exchange emails ?

Hello i have same problem i have to do manualy always any help tips my machine is Morbidell Author 600 K workiing on Xilog plus windows xp feels like cant do nothing

I am rebuilding One of these older SCM machine centers. I have dealt with the older PLCs for years and we are not user friendly if you are not familiar with them but if you are they can be the fastest most efficient machines out there. The problem is getting information if you need it. Forget about SCM group because they will do everything but help so you buy new machines or newer computers. One of these softwares I found to be very helpful over the years was Aspan which is a CAD-based software that allows you to draw any patterns you want or enter DXF files from AutoCAD drawings that already made and pull your parts from there. Now here's the secret that not too many people seem to know. That can cam software is good when you want to do routing patterns but if you want to use the drills and construction holes efficiently it is done faster at the machine using subroutines. In other words you write a pattern called hinch plates on X 0 or shelf holes pre-written with the center on X 0 when it comes time to write your programs all you have to do is hit s enter the name of your subroutine and place it at X 3.5 If that's where your hinge plate will end up from the bottom and the shelf holes at the center of your board Y 2 for 2 in back. It's extremely efficient and there are so many different shortcuts that you can use along the way. I could program construction holes as fast as the machine would work when I did custom kitchens. By the time the guy in the office would be done making every pattern with construction holes on Aspan I had the job done and moved over to the building already. The sad part about these machining companies and the way they sold is they kept you away from the really efficient way to use them. It was all one direction or none. When the reality is nobody knows your business better than you certainly not a machine salesman that's never seen your operation in details. The fastest way to the end of the job is a straight line whatever that may be. It's doing half your programming on a cat-based program to save all the geometry that you would have to do at the machine in the office on a CAD cam program that makes all the sense in the world but when it comes to construction holes it slows you down. I remember the last two SCM machine centers I purchased in 1998. The technician was setting up the Aspan CAD cam program which I was already familiar with. As he was teaching a few of the guys House of program that way I asked him why he was slowing the operation down. I told him I could be way faster out on the machine using subroutines. His exact words were You're right but I'm not supposed to be teaching you that. That was an eye-opener as to the direction the American sector of these woodworking machines wanted to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo_Hans View Post
    HI I am able to help with ALphacam macros too.
    Can you help walk me through making our own macros?

Quote Originally Posted by ducarley View Post
    I am rebuilding One of these older SCM machine centers. I have dealt with the older PLCs for years and we are not user friendly if you are not familiar with them but if you are they can be the fastest most efficient machines out there. The problem is getting information if you need it. Forget about SCM group because they will do everything but help so you buy new machines or newer computers. One of these softwares I found to be very helpful over the years was Aspan which is a CAD-based software that allows you to draw any patterns you want or enter DXF files from AutoCAD drawings that already made and pull your parts from there. Now here's the secret that not too many people seem to know. That can cam software is good when you want to do routing patterns but if you want to use the drills and construction holes efficiently it is done faster at the machine using subroutines. In other words you write a pattern called hinch plates on X 0 or shelf holes pre-written with the center on X 0 when it comes time to write your programs all you have to do is hit s enter the name of your subroutine and place it at X 3.5 If that's where your hinge plate will end up from the bottom and the shelf holes at the center of your board Y 2 for 2 in back. It's extremely efficient and there are so many different shortcuts that you can use along the way. I could program construction holes as fast as the machine would work when I did custom kitchens. By the time the guy in the office would be done making every pattern with construction holes on Aspan I had the job done and moved over to the building already. The sad part about these machining companies and the way they sold is they kept you away from the really efficient way to use them. It was all one direction or none. When the reality is nobody knows your business better than you certainly not a machine salesman that's never seen your operation in details. The fastest way to the end of the job is a straight line whatever that may be. It's doing half your programming on a cat-based program to save all the geometry that you would have to do at the machine in the office on a CAD cam program that makes all the sense in the world but when it comes to construction holes it slows you down. I remember the last two SCM machine centers I purchased in 1998. The technician was setting up the Aspan CAD cam program which I was already familiar with. As he was teaching a few of the guys House of program that way I asked him why he was slowing the operation down. I told him I could be way faster out on the machine using subroutines. His exact words were You're right but I'm not supposed to be teaching you that. That was an eye-opener as to the direction the American sector of these woodworking machines wanted to go.
    I would be interested in talking with you and having you review our programs to see if you can improve our process. Can we chat?