586,094 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Seeking information on Harbor Freight dust collector modifications...

Seeking information on Harbor Freight dust collector modifications...

I'm going to modify my Harbor Freight dust collector into a two stage and I'm looking for some insight into the best components to purchase.

I believe the 1st upgrade is to the impeller, assuming you can find one, I think the recommendation is for the Rikon or Wen which will significantly increase the air flow.

The 2nd is for a an Oneida Dust deputy or similar for separation, but I have a question about sizing. They make the Dust Deputy in 3 different sizes, 4", 5" and 6", which is the best option to go with???
    Does a 6" work with the DD and is it the best for flow. I believe the DD also has a 6" take off so that seems to make the most sense for the upgrade but would love some input on that.

The 3rd main component is the filter, I'm not certain if there's a particular model # just that it's efficient. I was leaning towards one of the these, does anyone have any experience with them??

35B222NANO Cartridge Kit - https://wynnenv.com/products-page/wo...cartridge-kit/
    Donaldson P181038 - https://www.amazon.com/Donaldson-kfP...f_=as_li_ss_tl
    Clark Filter P#1565938 - https://www.amazon.com/Cartridge-Col...7673d6a71e2315

I've seen a few of the YouTube videos and the modifications that have been made but was hoping for some real life experience. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam,
    Gecko G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X and A axis, 1/2-10 5 Start Acme-Z Axis
    4-THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48 48V

Re: Seeking information on Harbor Freight dust collector modifications...

Personally I think the best mod you can make would be for air flow. You can have the best impeller, but if there is to much pressure behind the fan, you will have poor suction. My Shop is attached to my garage. I put my dust collector in the garage, so I wasn't to worried about the fine particles, and I just put a big bag (6' long 24" diameter) on the system. The suction is great! I have no issues with 2, 4" lines at once.

I have a cyclone for chip collection, it works well but I do end up with a few inches of fine powder in the bag after a few weeks of running.

Ideally I would just vent the pipe outdoors with no filter, but I live in a residential area, and I don't think my neighbor would appreciate me blasting sawdust at his deck!

So my suggestion would be chip separator (cyclone, garbage can separator, etc) before fan and 2 or 3 filters. If the DC is in a different area, then a big filter bag.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have limited shop space so I have to live with the noise and the exhaust form the DC.

I am planning on utilizing the Oneida for chip separation and then a filter of some sort for the exhaust.. I'm thinking along the lines of a MERV 15.

Was hoping to get some input from the forum and their experiences if any.

Thanks.

Adam,

I went with the 6" ClearVue cyclone over the Oneida..... not sure they even had the 4,5, or 6 inch options when I got mine. I've had it for several years and it has performed extremely well. My shop is directly under my kitchen and living area so the fine dust collection was a must to keep it out of the house.

I use two 2hp dust collectors in series (I already had one and my neighbor gave me his old one after he realized how well it worked and went with the full ClearVue system over his single stage setup) and 4 of the filters like your 3rd link (I got lucky on an ebay deal where they were about the price of the one you are looking at). My only complaint with those filters is the wire mesh on the inside makes them harder to clean out but the good thing is the cyclone means you don't have to clean them often. Using 6" pipe also moves a lot of air. I have a 6" pipe running to the overhead of the CNC where I split it off into 2 4" feeds with a blast gate on each. One directly to the router and one reduced down to a shopvac hose for cleanup. Works nice as long as I remember to switch the blast gates before I start the CNC back up. Bottom line is a cyclone... probably most cyclones.... are a huge advantage over a single stage collector and the more filter area you have the better air flow will be. Dust collection is not cheap but for me with shop under the living area it was money well spent... happy wife... happy life

Thanks for the info., did either of your DC get a change on the impeller or did you stay with the stock setup?

The unknown is what size cyclone I should go with... I was thinking the Oneida 6" and modifying the DC to also have a 6" out take. However, I'm now leaning towards the 5" as some of the users/reviews that I've been able to find are saying that there really isn't that much performance gain from the 6".

Since I'm pretty ignorant to the DC workings and air flow... assuming the intake side of the DC is 6" and running directly into the Oneida/ClearVue, on the input side of the cyclone can I run two 3" lines, meaning I'm always trying to keep a 6" flow running??? or can the flow be reduces the further it gets from the DC with minimal affect?

Adam,

Stock impeller. With two 2 hp collectors the pull from them is adequate for my small shop. A lot depends on how long your runs are and how many bends/corners there are. I have my chop saw next to the DC so the 6" port for it only a couple of feet away and a couple of 45 degree bends. It won't suck up a 25' tape measure but it will keep it bouncing in the pipe for a bit and it will suck up a fairly large cutoff from a 2x4. The further you get from the intake the more the airflow is reduced.

The connection between the 2 collectors is a 5" line and the output side of the second one into the filters is also 5". I doubt that changing that to 6" would make any difference if that is what you are asking about. It is a lot easier to push air than pull it so the reduction in size doesn't matter as much on the output side.

As for the two 3" lines being equal to one 6" line is ;more complicated than that. It depends on the length of the runs and balance between the 2 lines. You want to run the biggest diameter pipe for as long... and straight... as you can and then reduce closest to the machine if you have to. For example, on my table saw, I have a 6" duct going to the under side of the saw and a 4" line going to the overhead guard. When doing something like a dado cut where the overhead isn't collecting anything I open the 6" blast gate all the way. Normal cuts I open the 4" gate and only crack open the 6" gate to get a lot more suction on the overhead because the 6" port is a straight shot and takes nearly all the air from the overhead line that snakes around a bit and is flex line (more resistance than straight metal runs). Even if the metal run to the under side of the saw was only 4" it would still starve the overhead guard because of the length of the run and the type of duct.

Thanks again for the follow up Lambodesigns... very helpful.

Adam,

I don't have any real world data, just an opinion.
    I have an old HF 2HP, with a Rikon impeller on it. Right after I got the impeller, I packed up my garage and moved to a new house, and I still haven't used it. My plan is to go with the 5" Super Dust Deputy, with 5" ducting. I don't think the HF can move enough air for a 6" duct.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dang it... now you guys made me go do some research on the Rikon upgrade Based on memory of when I put it together years ago both of mine had the 12" impellers already on them (Jet and General) so I already have the "upgraded" impellers. I did test the current draw on mine and after I put the second one in series and opened up all of the blast gates I was at max draw for the motors. Running a single gate open and it was under rated load by a little bit. That was also with new filters so the flow was maxed out. Just something you might want to check with an upgraded impeller because if you have short runs and duct outside with no filters I would be worried about overloading the motors or would want to at least check them to make sure.

As a side note.... with a ton of air flow connected to a jointer or planer you have just made yourself an air raid siren if you have straight blades. I upgraded to spiral heads a little while back and the noise reduction is amazing. I could hear my neighbor's planer running inside my house after he got the ClearVue and he is 6 houses away. He also upgraded to a spiral head after hearing how much it knocked the noise down on mine.

Gerry, I'm also leaning towards 5" and appears to be the recommended size base on Oneida's website.

Attachment 476354

It also seems to have a 6" IN and a5" OUT... curious why the differences if it's a 5" unit...

Attachment 476356

lambodesigns, I'm unfamiliar with how to test for amperage draw. I'm assuming it's as easy as attaching an amp meter then testing air flow before and after installing the impeller, is there a target range for amp draw not to exceed?

Adam,

I used something like this https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...ter-96308.html but there are other ways to do it.

You just need to have a place where you can put the loop around a single hot wire. I just used a short extension cable that I split the cover off of to get to the individual wires. The max current rating for the motor should be on a plate and varies for each motor.

Also...... if I read the drawing correct you have the in and out backwards. The 5" is the inlet and the 6" is where the DC attaches. A lot of DC have a single 6" inlet and 5" outlet so the cyclone is opposite but looks similar.

I looked at a couple of the videos on the Oneida website and the first one brought back a laugh. My first attempt was using a plastic trashcan for the dust bin. The 2 collectors in series collapsed the trash can into a little ball. It was so much fun to watch I did it a couple of times until it ripped a big hole in the side of it. Then I built a metal bin that was strong enough to hold shape. It still will make a "pop" when it is empty so a warning it is getting full is when it doesn't pop when I turn it on.

One common thing I see in some of the videos is a sharp 90 degree bend into or out of the cyclone. If you can avoid that your airflow will be a lot better. Anytime air has to change direction it slows down. Two 45s are much better than a single 90.

Great info about the dust bin I'll remember to use something beefy for chip collection!

Adam,

I didn't have an ammeter when I changed my impeller, but there was a noticeable increase in the time it took to get up to speed, so it's definitely moving a lot more air,
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)