586,094 active members*
4,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5C Serrated Collets

Hey all,

I just discovered the 5C Serrated Collets on Tormach's website and wondered if anyone had used them yet.

They are supposed to be offered for holding rough or scaled stock, presumably for the lathes. My thought is that they might be useful for folks who experience pull out with TTS tooling.

I'm not sure if the construction is simply slots in the collet or some kind of sharp edge to bite into stock.

If there is an edge it might damage a TTS shank, or maybe the harden shank would destroy the edge ??

I would like to know if they would help, but 50 bucks apiece is more than I care to spend to find out.

Terry

Re: 5C Serrated Collets

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Hey all,

I just discovered the 5C Serrated Collets on Tormach's website and wondered if anyone had used them yet.

They are supposed to be offered for holding rough or scaled stock, presumably for the lathes. My thought is that they might be useful for folks who experience pull out with TTS tooling.

I'm not sure if the construction is simply slots in the collet or some kind of sharp edge to bite into stock.

If there is an edge it might damage a TTS shank, or maybe the harden shank would destroy the edge ??

I would like to know if they would help, but 50 bucks apiece is more than I care to spend to find out.

Terry
    My mill uses a r-8 collet for tts tools, NOT a 5c.

Re: 5C Serrated Collets

Well I tried to reply to Mountaindew and admit my brain fart yesterday, but for some reason it didn't post. So I'm doing so again today, hopefully the next time I post, I will remember what equipment I have.
    Terry