586,075 active members*
4,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4x8 vs 5x10 & Camaster vs ShopSabre

I am upgrading my Avid 4896 Pro for two main reasons - Rigidity and ATC (out of the box).

A 5x10 unit from either Camaster or ShobSabre is only a couple of grand difference from the 4x8 models. However, the extra footprint will make it a VERY tight fit. I am trying to gauge how many people wished they had a 5x10 after getting a 4x8. For me, I have had to pass on a couple of larger slab flattening requests, but that has been it so far. Mostly, I carve and do sheet goods. I would be nice to be able to put a 2 x 4 jig fixture at then end since I use the vacuum for sheet goods.

I am still weighing the pros and cons of the two manufacturers, but that choice is coming down personal preferences as both are great from what I am hearing. The one caveat here is that the ShobSabre IS510 won't fit through the garage opening without disassembling the gantry, which they tell me they really wish I would not do.

Re: 4x8 vs 5x10 & Camaster vs ShopSabre

Give Brandon a call at ShopSabre, he will walk you through a lot of good details and advice and try to help with this discussion / topic.

I have a 5 foot x 8 foot table Camaster Cobra 2012, this machine has worked daily since, this was my 4rth machine of this type, i have had seven in total. for my cabinetmaking I will always have a 5 foot wide machine. 1) i love the space 2) meleamine optomizes at a 20% better yield that 4 foot material this is time, materials and money to me. the camaster Gantry can be removed for access and it is not a difficult process to reinstall. many have done this. I would also consider joining the camheads forum for the camaster owners. there are thousands of Camaster owners wanting to help you suceed and be profitable as those before them did. feel free to call and visit shops and the Plant that is always a good idea. Jim

www.camheads.org
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails station controll.jpg   load table dc.jpg  
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Thanks for the info - I pulled the trigger on the Camaster 510. Now, to sell my Avid 4896

Quote Originally Posted by szavoda View Post
    Thanks for the info - I pulled the trigger on the Camaster 510. Now, to sell my Avid 4896
    We are sorry to hear we did not earn your business, hopefully in the future we will be chatting for your next machine once space is a bit easier to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by szavoda View Post
    Welcome aboard I suggest you register for camheads.org now,, you will get a confirm email maybe as a junk or spam folder make sure to look for it.
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl