586,103 active members*
3,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > How do I slow down a pneumatic cylinder?

How do I slow down a pneumatic cylinder?

I am making a new fixture to hold parts. I am trying to make it self feeding. I have a pneumatic cylinder that clamps the part but it opens and closes with such force that it's breaking the fixture.

The cylinder is about 1.25" in diameter and has a 4" stroke. I have 90 lbs of air pressure on my system.

I had some devices that I thought were for slowing down the air. But they only seem to delay the action.(see pics)

What do I need to slow down the open/close speed of the cylinder? If I have the right thing what am I doing wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220217_195716.jpg   20220217_195711.jpg   20220217_195705.jpg  

Re: How do I slow down a pneumatic cylinder?

A flow control as you have shown is the correct device. These should control the flow out of the of the cylinder, and work best if placed directly onto the cylinder port. But can be anywhere in the line.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

What Jim said.

Some air cylinders have built-in flow regulators and/or air cushions to slow the piston down at the end of the stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    A flow control as you have shown is the correct device. These should control the flow out of the of the cylinder, and work best if placed directly onto the cylinder port. But can be anywhere in the line.
    Thanks, It appears I have this hooked up incorrectly, I currently have it in line with the input in to the valve, and about 8" before the valve. The total length of hose after the flow control is about 18" to 20".

I will change it so I have a flow control right by the connectors to the cylinder

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    What Jim said.

Some air cylinders have built-in flow regulators and/or air cushions to slow the piston down at the end of the stroke.
    Thanks, If moving the flow control doesn't work I will look into one of these cylinders.

Also note that flow controls are directional, look at the the ''controlled flow'' direction. The other direction is free flow. Normally there is an arrow showing the controlled flow direction.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by TTalma View Post
    Thanks, It appears I have this hooked up incorrectly, I currently have it in line with the input in to the valve, and about 8" before the valve. The total length of hose after the flow control is about 18" to 20".

I will change it so I have a flow control right by the connectors to the cylinder

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, If moving the flow control doesn't work I will look into one of these cylinders.
    If it does not work well enough, then you can make a restrictor plug to put in the output side this just seats in the cylinder output port and has a smaller hole in it, which you can adjust to get the right flow and then fine tune with the flow control valve, you can make it in any material and can be put in the line also
    Mactec54

Thanks for all the help, I added a second flow restrictor, and now have them right by the cylinder inlet/outlets. The solved the issue, after a little adjustment the cylinder is moving nicely!