586,103 active members*
3,589 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: Tormach PathPilot WISH LIST (;-)

When jogging (with jog shuttle or using the arrow keys) and the probe trips, PP displays a message on the Status Tab saying that the probe has changed state. Unfortunately jogging continues and breaks the probe stylus. It would be much more wallet friendly to stop the jog (perhaps with an option to continue if the user actually wants to break their probe). The current behaviour is particularly damaging if you are jogging by large increments due to accidentally choosing 0.1-inch steps instead of 0.0001-inch steps!

Even better than stopping would be to reverse motion until the probe is no longer tripped. This would allow easy setting of work coordinates with no need to change the tool number or to select the Probing Tab -- just jog in X or Y until the probe trips and then set the current axis to zero.

Feature request submitted to Tormach. I'll report back if they update the status of my request.

Hell I'd just like to be able to line up some commands when typing in the MDI window without the space bar stopping whatever is currently going on
    M

Quote Originally Posted by 74BurkeMVN View Post
    I'll try to better describe what I run into....Some things I make require more than the 10 tools in the ATC and when a tool that came from the ATC is finished and a manually loaded one is called for, PP puts away the ATC tool and then requests the manually loaded one. Fine & perfect because at the ATC tool change height, there is lots of room to insert a tool. However, when that manually loaded tool is finished, if there happens to be another manually loaded tool requested, the machine just retracts to clearance height (like every other tool) and waits for the change there. I have always been happy with the default 0.400" clearance height in F360 as it keeps "Z" time to a minimum. Unfortunately, 0.400" isn't enough to change a manually loaded tool. Seems to me, PP should be smart enough to recognize this situation and just Z+ far enough up to change tools.
    PP doesn't know where your work is and if some part of it might block a tool change or not-- You could be profiling, over a hole or off the side of the workpiece or whatever. Nor does it know if you're swapping tools using a chuck or collet or TTS holder. That's CAM's job to know where your work and fixtures and tools and holders and machine are to avoid this kind of thing.

Since that's kind of a pain to manage in Fusion, I tick the "use G30" checkbox in F360's post options and set G30 to somewhere near ATC change height and it works as expected.

Hi Ken, I don't think you would like protected mode jogging. It will NOT save your probe. It just gives you a false sense of security that can end in $$$$$$$ disaster. IF you want to test that idea then fasten a block to the table and load your probe NOW back up and probe into the block at the same feedrate as your rapids move. DID it stop without breaking your probe ???

The silly function in PP that stops the program if it see a non-probing trip needs to be removed. It is bad juju. And it teaches BAD habits. IMHO (;-)

I think you would really like having "JOGPROBE" and use the NUMPAD arrow keys to run probing routines in teh direction of teh arrows. Right to go right left to go left etc. The jogprobe would move in the same direction as your jog keys. Jog up to the X side of teh block then press the UP(Y+) jogprobe key. It will then probe into the block and back off. ALL from a single hotkey. Jog around to the Y side and use the X direction key to jogprobe into the block and back off. It does NOT get an easier than that. AND no mouse was harmed in creating that function (mousefree).

(;-) TP

"DID it stop without breaking your probe ???"

You can watch a probe colliding with a 1-2-3 block at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwLydF4osc4
    This is part a coming article in Digital Machinist Magazine.

(;-) NO it did not break MY probe. I have a strict rule with probes . LOCKOUT spindle,Install probe and turn ON brain. IT has saved a lot of $$$$$$ over the years.. Nothing sounds worse than that probe lead whirling around like a weedeater @ 10K.

(;-) TP

HIYA Mooser how about IF you press ALT_L and it pops up a window that you can type in lines of Gcode then press the green button in teh window and it feeds those lines into the MDI. Would that work.??

There ARE a LOT of cool things that our commercial controllers do that PP could do . BUT ????? (;-) You guys need to speak up to Tormach about them. AFTER all you guys do pay the bills so to speak. And the company is employee owned ??? Maybe ???? they will listen ??

Just a thought , (;-) TP

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    PP doesn't know where your work is and if some part of it might block a tool change or not-- You could be profiling, over a hole or off the side of the workpiece or whatever. Nor does it know if you're swapping tools using a chuck or collet or TTS holder. That's CAM's job to know where your work and fixtures and tools and holders and machine are to avoid this kind of thing.

Since that's kind of a pain to manage in Fusion, I tick the "use G30" checkbox in F360's post options and set G30 to somewhere near ATC change height and it works as expected.
    I get that PP doesn't know where the work is, but a Z+ move couldn't possibly crash into anything. I don't use the "factory" Post Processor, as it didn't (at the time) offer options for G37 at each tool change. I've run into issues where tools don't exactly repeat when picked up at the ATC...(besides the point...).

ANYWAY, I did find a G30 option in the Post which I am now using....Tormach support suggested the same thing.

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by 74BurkeMVN View Post
    I get that PP doesn't know where the work is, but a Z+ move couldn't possibly crash into anything.
    Unless you're undercutting with a slitting saw or cutting a dovetail or something of the sort a Z-up move is generally safe, but its way better to have CAM or the programmer deal with it, even if it takes a G30 all the time.

IT is a shame that PP depends on using up 1 of the GOTO gcodes for the atc. There are only 2 goto Gcodes G28 and G30. IT would have been better to put entries on the ATC page 1 set of position entries (XYZ) for the Normal tool change (in slot) and 1 set of position entries (XYZ) for the out of slot changes and a checkbox to select ATC mode park or let the operator(CAM) park it for the tool change.. That way it would not take up the gcode resources that could be used for other things.

Just a thought , (;-) TP

Implementation of conversational programming in the style of the ProtoTRAK or Acer control units would be fantastic.
    I hate being limited to pockets, bosses, one hole at a time.
    Oh yeah, hole patterns, jeez oh man. Repeat feature would take care of that and could be used for so many other features, repeat this X number of times in X/Y directions. I had 350 holes in a plate, I wound up using excel to edit the G-Code to get all the X/Y coordinates in it. I don't use CAM though I'm sure I could and definitely should. I'm used to sitting at the machine and programming whatever is needed in a few minutes.
    I'm not sure if there is a way to test run programs other than don't load a tool an run it on these machines, but that would be a nice feature. ProtoTRAK lathes will let you use one of the digital handles to control the speed you move through a program so you can do it manually and see if there are any errors.

Hiya Jimmy have you ever tried conversational Wizards or Gcode generators. Here is a link to a few for LinuxCNC which can run in PP.

LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: Simple LinuxCNC G-Code Generators

They can be made to do just about anything you can think of AND they are self contained. The process can create Gcode as a single program OR be additive and create a large Gcode file based on modules that are additive being they add on to the end of the main program. THey can create main programs or Sub programs.

Here I set up a menu system run out of the admin cmd from MDI. Shift_Enter to bring up the MDI line then type in ADMIN MENU and the menu pops up listing ALL the files (wizards) that are in the folder. Select the one I want and press ENTER . It then loads the Wizard up and is displayed on the screen over PP. input the values needed for the process and when done send it to post in the Gcode folder. Close the Wizard and load your new program OR you could set it up to AUTO load on save.

Creating the Wizards is fairly simple and I think there is even a Wizard to help create the Framework (shell) of a new Wizard. Then you add in what you want the wizard to do for you.

To add in a new Wizard to your system simply drop the file into the Folder and the next time you bring up the MENU there is is waiting on you. I made it as simple as it gets. AND where the file is stored gets saved on an update (;-) Yes let the machine work for YOU.

TO make PP be able to use them took about 8-9 lines of code in PP > I think there is a number of people waiting for PP to be able to load them so THEY can create more for everyone to use. BUT it is of no use if PP cannot load them (;-)

(;-) TP

I haven't tried the Linux Gcode generator but perhaps you can answer a question:

If I build a sequence of operations, try the generated code and notice a problem, can I fix only the error or do I have to recreate everything? How do other code generators deal with this problem? If I have to start over then the conversational generators are essentially useless for anything other than the simplest project.

Interesting that a dry run function keeps popping up from time to time. In the old days when controllers had a minimum (poor) toolpath display dryrun could be handy to check those close areas. BUT now that we have great toolpath displays the need diminished. WHen the program loads switch to ISO mode and it pretty much shows you every move the machine is going to make BEFORE you press the green button.

Just a thought , (;-) TP

It that is a reply to my question I'm unsure how a preview solves the editing problem. Apologies if it was a response to something else.

HI Ken, IF you create a program and spot a problem it will depend on what the problem is as to how you fix it. IF it is simple then simply edit the program file . IF it involves an entire section then you can edit and cut out that entire section then go back to the Wizard and redo it then save it to a file and then edit that file by COPY then paste it back into your main program. Wizards are not meant to be an end all to programming but an aid for programming by uses individual modules that can create specific functions that may be unique to you.

IF you want the end all product there are Conversational CAM systems out there and there is a simple one built into PP. But the deal is with them you have to do things THEIR WAY or no way. Wizards are like Burger King, have it YOUR WAY.

(;-) TP

I've only used the PP conversational for the simplest things (mostly thread milling one hole). With that I can go back and change a parameter and try again. What do I do if I want two, different, threads? How do I select the first or the second one to edit things?

HI Ken from what I can see PP has a special editor to deal with their COnversational programming. I would think it would be easy to do it from there.

(;-) TP

My desire for a dry run is due to crashes at start usually. If Z is set with a different tool than the one loaded, there can be a significant difference in Z height and crunch goes an endmill. Certainly one of those things that being cautious can help to cut down on, but I agree about the ISO view being a great tool to show you the entire path system.

I have not tried Wizards or Code generators, that looks very interesting and if my desk stays as empty as it's been I'll be spending this afternoon deep diving into that.

I would also be interested in the ability to modify/rearrange the GUI or to be able to build my own.

Oh and this might be another one I'm just not familiar with how to implement, but a part/run counter. When doing 4-5 hours of a 30 second program, it would be a lot easier to estimate the quantity of parts I have completed just by counting the number of runs.s

HIYA Jimmy , PP already has a part counter for both G30 and M99 IT is a 2 staged count it can count total parts over time or parts per run. IF you do not see it in the lower right of the toolpath view then go to ADMIN and turn it on.

Dryrun will not save you on program start BUT feed override and Rapid override can (;-) . On program start set both the FRO and RRO to minimum crawl, start he program and watch the tool just as it gets close to the part do a feedhold. THen look at Distance to go for teh Z. Does it look right ?? heck even measure it real quick. IF good to go reset the FRO and RRO to 100% and press the green button. (;-) Works every time. NOW if the DTG says you have 1" to go and the tool is .25 above the part then you MAY have a problem worth looking at.

ALSO here I can press F2 and it displays ALL teh current loaded tool INFO in the toolpath display. SO if the tool is suppose to be a .375 endmill 2 flute Flatnose and 2" tool length and I press the F2 and it show somethings different I may have messed up (;-) and yes I do from time to time. That F2 function works anytime and anywhere you are in PP. (;-)

(;-) TP

Page 3 of 4 1234