586,104 active members*
3,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY Vacuum Box Question

Hi all, newbie here - so many forums, not sure I'm posting this in the right place...

I'm getting my first CNC, and need to build a vacuum hold down system for some small scale production work, mainly cutting thin acrylic sheet. I've been researching for a while now, and bought two vacuum motors to build a DIY system. Hold down will only be 24"x48". Many of the designs I've seen include enclosing the vacuum motors in a box, but I've also seen some versions that simply have the motors mounted out in the open. Is enclosing them in a box really necessary? Is it for sound, or fire safety, or? Most of what I read is about getting fresh air to the motors and keeping them cool, which would suggest not enclosing them in a box would be ideal? I will be be able to pass my dust collection and vacuum hold down pipes through a wall, and house the loud motors in a sort of open loft space, outside my work area, so noise is less of a concern. Trying to keep things simple, if possible. I've seen a couple posts mention the Gary Campbell DIY design, but I can't seem to locate the original thread for that vacuum box, or any plans for it. Looking for a little tutelage - thanks so much for the help.

Best, Peter

Re: DIY Vacuum Box Question

Did a quick look and the Gary Campbell system looks to be just for noise, while allowing a large flow of air for cooling. If you are going to put them in a different room I would just let them run in the open.

I have use my shop vac for a hold down in the past. and the noise gets pretty annoying even with headphones on.

've seen a couple posts mention the Gary Campbell DIY design, but I can't seem to locate the original thread for that vacuum box, or any plans for it. Looking for a little tutelage
    It's on ShopBot's forum.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I just got done building myself a DIY vac pump setup actually. It's based off of various other DIY reports on forums and YouTube.I used 4 of the Ametek 122178-18 motors as they don't require "make up air" or a small air bypass to let the motor s cool themselves. They also seem to be a bit more robust with longer bearing brushes as well. With just 2 of them on for 2 - 2'x4' zones I saw 8.5 InHg which I was really happy with! Willing to share plans if anyone would like.

I built an enclosure with a baffle system as I had to have this mounted right next to the router and couldn't remote locate; though aside from a metal box I could only see the enclosure adding to the fire possibility. lol. I think the enclosure is nice as well to just have a complete box system with all enclosed wiring and its just tidy
    That being said I don't see how it would be a necessity to have a full enclosure and one gentleman on YouTube did just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk-yCqwZ9fU

My baffle system seemed to take the sharp "ring" or note out of the sound I was familiar with from a Storm Vac on a Camaster router I had.

I'm doing similar work to the OP with Polycarb and HDPE starboard and the vac motors through a 1/4 or 3/4in HDPE sheet works fantastic!

Hello,
    I really appreciate you sharing your vac box build. We are going to build one just like yours.
    We will be cutting 1/4" HDPE Starboard smaller parts.
    Question---The Starboard has some texture --Does your vac-set-up table work well in holding down the textured HDPE Starboard? You mentioned your are cutting HDPE Starboard.
    Thank You,
    Trent
    [email protected]