586,068 active members*
4,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Can this servo-drive support pulse/dir commande
Page 1 of 4 123

Can this servo-drive support pulse/dir commande

Hi
    I have this servo drive rs1a03aa sanmotion
    Can anyone tell if it support pulse/dir commande or cw/ccw input

Re: Can this servo-drive support pulse/dir commande

I think it will take pulse/direction input.

https://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf...N%2520rs1a03aa
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post

I have a regular mach3 board , is it possible to connect it with this servo drive , i mean can i wire it directly

There is a pic in attachments does it mean pulse/dir or cw/ccw
    For the controller i will use a port paralle mach3 3 board
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20220223-135915_OneDrive.jpg  

That's a good question. I am not really sure what that says. I guess I would try step/direction and see if it works.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

That's a good question. I am not really sure what that says. I guess I would try step/direction and see if it works.
    Ok i will try
    Thanks you

Hi,
    most servo drives that accept digital input commands will accept three different modes:
    1) Step/Direction....using the terminology in your manual Symbol/Pulse Train
    2) CW/CCW....using terminology in your manual Forward Pulse/Reverse Pulse
    3) Quadrature....using terminology in your manual 900phase difference two phase train

So provided you program the drive to accept option 1) then your parallel port will drive it fine.

Note that Mach3's parallel port has a default kernel frequency of only 25kHz, and thus the max Step rate will be 25kHz, meaning that you will not be able to exploit the servos high resolution
    without limiting its maximum speed.

An external motion controller with a max pulse rate of at least 100kHz, but better 500kHz would be required to have med-high resolution AND max
    rated speed of the servo.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    most servo drives that accept digital input commands will accept three different modes:
    3) Quadrature....using terminology in your manual 900phase difference two phase train

So provided you program the drive to accept option 1) then your parallel port will drive it fine.

Note that Mach3's parallel port has a default kernel frequency of only 25kHz, and thus the max Step rate will be 25kHz, meaning that you will not be able to exploit the servos high resolution

An external motion controller with a max pulse rate of at least 100kHz, but better 500kHz would be required to have med-high resolution AND max

Craig
    Depending on the computer being used Mach3 can have a Kernel output frequency of 100KHz the average computer can do 75KHz without any problems I have tested Mach3 with the Kernel set at 100KHz and it worked ok, but I would not rely on it 100% though, testing would be ok, up to 200KHz is enough for most servos the Op his servo seems to have a max of 150KHz so 100KHz will be fine

An external motion controller is always going to be better, a UC100 would work very well for his servo
    Mactec54

Hi,

Craig
    Hi Craig , thanks for your interaction
    So from your answer i understand thati sould choose option 1 ( symbol+pulse train ) and wire it with the mach3 board
    I have another question
    I have done some research and i found that any servo drive have to pins( alarm ,and servo on ) that should be connected to vdd (5or24v) but i can't find those two pins (pics in attachments)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20220224-170632_OneDrive.jpg   Screenshot_20220224-170612_OneDrive.jpg  

The inputs can be programed for many functions. Many times the default setting for Input1 (CONT1) is Drive Enable.

You really don't need to use the alarm output, but any of the outputs (OUTn) can be programmed for many functions.

You need to find the programming manual for the drive.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi,
    page 5-17 of the manual:

Group8 parameter, page 11, value=02 for Step/Dir

page 5-24

GroupA parameter pages 0-07,10, these are the general purpose digital outputs, one or more of which can be used as an alarm. In sophisticated control systems there may be several alarm conditions,
    some of which require an Estop, but others may require operator intervention. I suspect that with a parallel port you will have that few inputs available that you will not have multiple alarms per servo, in fact you
    might not have enough inputs for one alarm per servo.

page 5-22

Group9 parameter pages 00-05, these are the digital inputs, including 05, Servo On, and 02, Alarm Reset. You will have to energise at least S_ON to enable the servo, that could of course be commoned to
    all servos on the machine. You will most probably want the AL_RST input, so that if a servo faults you can reset it. It will reset with a power cycle but its a PITA to cycle servo power just to overcome a fault.
    You will get a lot of alarms especially when setting up, once in service hopefully once in a blue moon. You could common the AL_RST input to all servos.

Depending on the computer being used Mach3 can have a Kernel output frequency of 100KHz the average computer can do 75KHz without any problems I have tested Mach3 with the Kernel set at 100KHz and it worked ok,
    In the years I used Machs parallel port I found only a few PCs that could run at 45kHz, one or two only that could do 65kHz, and never had one PC that could do 100kHz reliably, your mileage may differ.
    Then I bought myself an Ethernet SmoothStepper, and it runs an 4MHz!! My current mill uses servos and I've set the resolution (electronic gearing) such that the linear resolution is 1um, but can still
    get 5000rpm from the servos or 25m/min rapids, and that requires a Step pulse rate of 416.66kHz, and the SmoothStepper/BoB handles that no trouble. The differential inputs to the servo run to 500kHz.

page 9-1

The open collector inputs may have a limit of 150kHz, but the differential input (Step/DIR) has a limit of 5MHz, and the quadrature input has a limit of 1.25Mz. To take advantage of the servos
    resolution AND maximum speed the high frequency signalling is required and very amply provided for......5MHz!!!

Craig

Hi,
    page 5-17 of the manual:

Group8 parameter, page 11, value=02 for Step/Dir

page 5-24

GroupA parameter pages 0-07,10, these are the general purpose digital outputs, one or more of which can be used as an alarm. In sophisticated control systems there may be several alarm conditions,
    some of which require an Estop, but others may require operator intervention. I suspect that with a parallel port you will have that few inputs available that you will not have multiple alarms per servo, in fact you
    might not have enough inputs for one alarm per servo.

page 5-22

Group9 parameter pages 00-05, these are the digital inputs, including 05, Servo On, and 02, Alarm Reset. You will have to energise at least S_ON to enable the servo, that could of course be commoned to
    all servos on the machine. You will most probably want the AL_RST input, so that if a servo faults you can reset it. It will reset with a power cycle but its a PITA to cycle servo power just to overcome a fault.
    You will get a lot of alarms especially when setting up, once in service hopefully once in a blue moon. You could common the AL_RST input to all servos.

In the years I used Machs parallel port I found only a few PCs that could run at 45kHz, one or two only that could do 65kHz, and never had one PC that could do 100kHz reliably, your mileage may differ.
    Then I bought myself an Ethernet SmoothStepper, and it runs an 4MHz!! My current mill uses servos and I've set the resolution (electronic gearing) such that the linear resolution is 1um, but can still
    get 5000rpm from the servos or 25m/min rapids, and that requires a Step pulse rate of 416.66kHz, and the SmoothStepper/BoB handles that no trouble. The differential inputs to the servo run to 500kHz.

page 9-1

The open collector inputs may have a limit of 150kHz, but the differential input (Step/DIR) has a limit of 5MHz, and the quadrature input has a limit of 1.25Mz. To take advantage of the servos
    resolution AND maximum speed the high frequency signalling is required and very amply provided for......5MHz!!!

Craig
    Hi
    So i have understand all the point
    Still one point that am confused about it
    I have also an ( nc studio board)
    Does it work for this case (pic in attachments)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20220224-210935_Samsung Internet.jpg  

Hi,
    I have no experience with NC studio. From the picture it looks like there is a big micro-processor and maybe and FPGA as well, which would suggest that its way more sophisticated than just
    a PCI-to-parallel card, and may in fact be a genuine motion controller. If it is a motion controller then it may well have high speed outputs. That the outputs are via a DB25 connector certainly
    does not mean a drastic speed limitation.

My understanding is that NC Studio is a separate CNC software solution and is distinct from Mach3. If, and that's a big if, I'm correct then the card you pictured has to be used with NC Studio
    and won't work with Mach3.

Craig

Hi,
    I have no experience with NC studio. From the picture it looks like there is a big micro-processor and maybe and FPGA as well, which would suggest that its way more sophisticated than just
    a PCI-to-parallel card, and may in fact be a genuine motion controller. If it is a motion controller then it may well have high speed outputs. That the outputs are via a DB25 connector certainly
    does not mean a drastic speed limitation.

My understanding is that NC Studio is a separate CNC software solution and is distinct from Mach3. If, and that's a big if, I'm correct then the card you pictured has to be used with NC Studio
    and won't work with Mach3.

Craig
    Yes of course the card work only with nc studio interface and for my machine it just a cnc router 3 axis for normal uses wood, plexiglasse , etc
    I think i will test if it work well

Hi,
    I've looked through the manual and can only conclude that you can only program the drive by using software installed on a PC. Do you have the software and the cable
    required to program the drives?

Craig

Hi,
    I've looked through the manual and can only conclude that you can only program the drive by using software installed on a PC. Do you have the software and the cable
    required to program the drives?

Craig
    Hi
    No a haven't the software or the cable
    But i think i can manipulate with the button on the servo drive
    Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Diae View Post
    Hi
    No a haven't the software or the cable
    Is that correct?
    If the drive has a provision for keypad data entry, then yes, you should be able to program the drive.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

If the drive has a provision for keypad data entry, then yes, you should be able to program the drive.
    Yes i have 4 button pic in attachments
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220225_183430.jpg  

Hi,

Is that correct?
    I would have thought that if it were possible it would be described in the manual, but its not. That's why I asked the question.

My Delta servos can be programmed by pushing buttons but its slow, tedious an error prone. I gave it up as a bad joke and bought the cable required
    to program the drive with a PC, vastly superior.

My Allen Bradley servo REQUIRES software to set-up, you cant program by button pushing.....and I had to buy the software.

I think you should do some research to find out, you may end up having to buy the software as I did. It wasn't the end of the world ($200NZD) but
    I wasn't expecting to have to pay.....

Craig

Hi,

I would have thought that if it were possible it would be described in the manual, but its not. That's why I asked the question.

My Delta servos can be programmed by pushing buttons but its slow, tedious an error prone. I gave it up as a bad joke and bought the cable required
    to program the drive with a PC, vastly superior.

My Allen Bradley servo REQUIRES software to set-up, you cant program by button pushing.....and I had to buy the software.

I think you should do some research to find out, you may end up having to buy the software as I did. It wasn't the end of the world ($200NZD) but
    I wasn't expecting to have to pay.....

Craig
    For the software i thinks it free on the website (sanmotion)
    But the cable i should buy it
    On page 4-1
    They said that it is possible , i have take a screen
    Pic in attachments
    What do you thinks

Page 1 of 4 123