586,103 active members*
3,382 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: DRILLING - Shear Hog

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    The video I watched showed a 3 insert cutter that wasnt center cutting at the beginning??

I am either getting too old or my eyes are deceiving me but the tool shown at the beginning would not center cut unless I am missing something..........
    It's not center cutting at all, it is only plunge cutting to its max depth that it can before it bottoms out, which they all can do this. this is not cutting to the full depth of the insert it's only doing around .200 deep
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It's not center cutting at all, it is only plunge cutting to its max depth that it can before it bottoms out, which they all can do this. this is not cutting to the full depth of the insert it's only doing around .200 deep
    As I mentioned before its easy to tell by looking at the tool, no video required that's all it can do. And inside edge of insert cutting would have bad chip evacuation causing a number of problems to consider. What is the point of using a 5 inch dia or 3/4 dia insert cutting tool or any tool that is not designed to center cut to try and plunge cut?. Setting up a program with a tool table full of tool choices of insert tools that can plunge cut or other tools made for this. Why on earth would you want to or even consider this in a program? Its just a tool change that takes seconds to do and load and use the right cutting tool for the right job. I just dont see the point and size of machine or power has nothing to do with it. What am I missing here?

Edit. Never mind my cam software will not even allow this with that type of tool defined. It throws a tool holder collision error. I would have to turn errors off or it won't even post code for a tool choice that is not designed to plunge cut.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    As I mentioned before its easy to tell by looking at the tool, no video required that's all it can do. And inside edge of insert cutting would have bad chip evacuation causing a number of problems to consider. What is the point of using a 5 inch dia or 3/4 dia insert cutting tool or any tool that is not designed to center cut to try and plunge cut?. Setting up a program with a tool table full of tool choices of insert tools that can plunge cut or other tools made for this. Why on earth would you want to or even consider this in a program? Its just a tool change that takes seconds to do and load and use the right cutting tool for the right job. I just dont see the point and size of machine or power has nothing to do with it. What am I missing here?

Edit. Never mind my cam software will not even allow this with that type of tool defined. It throws a tool holder collision error. I would have to turn errors off or it won't even post code for a tool choice that is not designed to plunge cut.
    Actually I had a setting wrong.
    It will allow use of insert cutters defined like this as long as you choose a very shallow angle ramp down zig-zag, spiral or along curve type of tool path and not a straight plunge.

Page 2 of 2 12