586,103 active members*
3,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > What do do with these ballscrew - Looking for inspiration

What do do with these ballscrew - Looking for inspiration

Hello fellas.

I have made several machines and I am heavily involved in machining, programming, JIG design and in general making cool stuff on 4 axis horizontal large scale machines.

I have this in 4.8/5 condition and I am looking for an inspiration. I have this ball screw sets from Haas EC1600 machine and they work perfectly, but now I am stuck on what type of machine I should go with.

Basically I am looking for inspiration, as I have the room for new machine and this could be a massive one. I have smaller router with Leadshine original 4N motors so I think they can run those ballscrews, but I have a creative black hole on myself and I just can't think of anything that would spark me to make it.

I have all the machining at my disposal, and I can produce pretty much anything, and I think this is where is the problem.

I have added some photos of my small cnc machine and this large scale ballscrew.

If admins thinks its a rubbish post, I apologize and please delete it.

Marko
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160801202212-280720200726014011.jpg   20160730194145-280720200725564432.jpg  

Re: What do do with these ballscrew - Looking for inspiration

I don't think I can give you any ideas, as those screws are huge and I have no idea about what you need or want and what your budget is. Personally I think you are starting at the wrong end. It is better to start with an idea of making a machine, then design it and first after that you will know if these are the right screws or not.

On another matter... since you show you "small" CNC machine, it looks like it has a design flaw. Shouldn't the gantry beam be moved forward to get a more optimal maximum working area? My CNC is of similar design, but proportionally, the beam is more in the middle then yours seems to be. Perhaps the position is only temporary during the build phase, so maybe you have already figured that out... Anyway, it's a very nice machine. I like fixed gantry design because they offer a much higher rigidity and speed than the more trendy and impressive moving gantry type. Fixed gantry is also much easier to build a protection around, which I built as well, so the room around the machine can be kept nice and clean, as well as it offers safety for anyone and anything around it, especially in case the mill bit breaks and comes flying towards you.

Maybe build a nice slant bed lathe?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hey buddy,

Thank you for your insight about my small machine. I have 430x430x80 mm of travel, and the machine is very rigid, as I intended it for High speed machining aluminium. I have few flaws of this machines but it works perfectly as is it. I am playing around the idea with adding 4th and 5th axis to this machine, but without an ATC with at least 5 tools, I would ne venture in this project.

This big ball screw sets are taken from Haas EC 1600 machine and they were changed just because somebody decided to change this, although technicians tested and said its in good working condition. Now problem is what to do with it.

I was thinking a massive CNC machine to make wooden bathtubs, to even make massive 3d printer with almost 2 m2. Inspiration is something I lack here. I have looked all resources that I could find and I could not get something that interest me. Maybe its a middle age crisis.

Maybe a suggestion of a DIY atc system. If you have anyone made it from this forum who has made something properly. I am looking but maybe you know a project which I have missed.