586,096 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Background suppression proximity sensor

Exclamation Background suppression proximity sensor

Hey!

New to this platform. Usually pretty good at figuring things out on my own here at the shop, but have ran into an issue that I cant seem to solve.

We have an Okuma ES-V3016 with a OSP10M Control.

Our sensor inside the tool carousel was cracked at the wired connection end and the machine was stopping mid tool change during our cycle. Not every tool, and not consistently. We could fix it by manually jogging backwards or forwards in ATC command. I investigated the sensor and it was dirty/oily and coolant had gotten inside. I just received a new sensor that was ordered through our Okuma dealer, a BALLUFF BOS 18Kx-xx-1HA series Background suppression proximity sensor. I have hooked it into the SQ10 port (MG Tool In Change Position) at the back of the machine with the correct cable, and re-mounted it in approximately the same position as the previous sensor.

Problem: I have tried mounting it further away, closer, higher, lower....and I cant get the machine to finish a tool change cycle. Out of probably 30 attempts the machine has completed maybe 5 tool changes properly. I am wondering if anyone knows what the fix is, or if there is some magical setting that I should know of. Would love to figure it out without having a rep come in to fix it. I have struggled to find any help or information about this sensor in any of the manuals.

Kind regards, Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Re: Background suppression proximity sensor

I would suspect that you are working with the wrong sensor. If it was the magazine sensor, you most likely wouldn’t be able to start the tool change instead of stopping during the tool change.

In ATC diagnosis, what is the message when it stops? If you let it set for 3 minutes what alarm comes up? What step is it on?

You should have an ATC sequence in the maintenance manual that will give you more clues as to what is going on.
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

3705 Alarm C - ATC system condition 180
    15705 Spindle tool unclamp LS is not ON

ATC sequence No. 6

Sequence seems wrong, but I'm not so familiar with the 3016...usually seq 7 is spindle orientate on 4020. Do you have an image of the sequence page that you can provide from the maintenance manual?

The machine has been sitting all day. I just changed from tool 2 to tool 1, then 1 to 10, then 10 to 20, no issues. Then tried to change to tool 5, stopped at sequence 6. Tried to change to tool 1, or 2 or 10 or 20 and same thing, just stops at sequence 6. To me it doesn't make sense why it will change a tool properly a few times, then oh wait, I don't want to change tools anymore.

Images are attached, the sequence page doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and its a totally different layout than our machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220318_143015.jpg  

No one has any answers or recommendations for me? Any ideas for me to try?

thanks

I need pages on the actual sequence for your machine from the Maintenance Manual. (different from the Operation and Maintenance manual) The 4020 at that point is looking for the Pot down switch and it's common for it to fail due to coolant contamination. Yours may be different, but your description of alarms and sequence of operation seem to conflict with each other based on my past experience. Your sequence page is helpful, but please go to the diagnosis page at the time that is "hung" and take a screenshot.

The maintenance manual should also have a logic table for the ATC that may be helpful as well.

Best regards,

If it's not going past seq 6 because of the tool unclamp LS not turning on, then you need to look at the tool unclamp LS and see if it's working or not. I have a different Okuma, but our tool unclamp LS goes into a junction box. Need to make sure you are getting 24V going back to your input card. You can call your Okuma dealer and get in contact with tech support, they will give you the pdf file showcasing the location for the tool unclamp and which terminals in your junction box/electrical cabinet you can check with a volt meter to make sure the LS is getting power, and sending the appropriate voltage signal back.