586,080 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Engraving toolpaths for router bits

Engraving toolpaths for router bits

I'm just getting involved in engraving, and I'm curious about the need for a very good finish quality on the bottom of engraved pockets. No matter how well a tool is 'touched off' there are very minor differences in depth when doing multi-tool pocketing, so I'm wondering if a finish pass in Z is also worth doing? I.E. pocket all shapes (lettering, etc) with multiple tools leaving .005 for a finish pass both on the profile AND the depth, Then, since most of the material has been removed you can then clean up the bottom and sides perfectly with the finishing tool at a higher feed rate. Does this seem like a reasonabe strategy?

-James Leonard
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

It sounds like a good strategy to me. I find that with my engraving I get better final results with multiple passes at smaller depth increments. This usually also enables faster feed rates too. Depending on the requirements for the depth of the job I also find that my engravings will have a cleaner(less burrs) appearance by simply not going deeper than is necessary to produce the effect needed.(going .015" deep may look better than going .030" deep etc.) Also the use of a good cutting fluid for metal engravings and chip removal does have an effect on the final results.
    Regards,
    Wes