586,042 active members*
3,718 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > What steps to take before mothballing a Fanuc robot?

What steps to take before mothballing a Fanuc robot?

I am about to take a couple of old Fanuc robots out of service and they will go into storage for a few years. Long term plan is to repurpose them for another application later. I am not real familiar with these robots (or any robots), but I am familiar with PLC-controlled equipment, and I've come to expect that any time you turn off power to a machine for an extended time, you should plan on it being brain dead when you try to turn it back on. I assume these robots are no different. I am in the habit of making program backups of everything, especially prior to periods of planned dormancy, and that's what I'd like to do here as well.

The robots seem to be made up of separate modules with separate brains, and I am making the assumption that any or all of which might have its own backup battery/capacitor, its own onboard program, its own programming cable, and its own programming software. What I would like to know is:
    How many lobotomies are are required?
    What all do I need (cables, cards, whatever)?
    Where to cram the data extraction hose?
    What software?
    And most importantly, what are the better questions that I don't know enough to ask?

Re: What steps to take before mothballing a Fanuc robot?

Just a general advice - make software backups, change CMOS batteries (if any), clean, lubricate, protect from the environment. Pack all tools, accessories, spare parts, manuals, notes, software disks. Write down any important information that may be useful when you (or someone else) unpack those robots few years later.

Re: What steps to take before mothballing a Fanuc robot?

Quote Originally Posted by strantor View Post
    I am about to take a couple of old Fanuc robots out of service and they will go into storage for a few years. Long term plan is to repurpose them for another application later. I am not real familiar with these robots (or any robots), but I am familiar with PLC-controlled equipment, and I've come to expect that any time you turn off power to a machine for an extended time, you should plan on it being brain dead when you try to turn it back on. I assume these robots are no different. I am in the habit of making program backups of everything, especially prior to periods of planned dormancy, and that's what I'd like to do here as well.

The robots seem to be made up of separate modules with separate brains, and I am making the assumption that any or all of which might have its own backup battery/capacitor, its own onboard program, its own programming cable, and its own programming software. What I would like to know is:
    How many lobotomies are are required?
    What all do I need (cables, cards, whatever)?
    Where to cram the data extraction hose?
    What software?
    And most importantly, what are the better questions that I don't know enough to ask?
    Put the arm in a storage position before power off. I would look at the manual, there is likely a position Fanuc uses for shipping. It will help it fit on a pallet better or if plans change in the future make it much easier to ship.