586,094 active members*
3,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Enabling A-axis on VF-2

Hello

We recently bought a 1994 VF-2 at auction. It was advertised as 4th axis capable and also came with a Haas 4th axis indexing table.

However, when I connect the 4th axis and try to do anything with it, I get 'axis disabled'. I went into parameter 43 and the 'disable axis' switch is set to 1. I tried to change it by pressing '0' and write, and it says something about it being locked.

I'm rather concerned that this product was misrepresented and absolutely need this axis working. What can I do to enable it?

Setting 7 has to be OFF to change the Parameters, also Estop pushed.

There is also a Setting to select the type of rotary table you have.

I do not recall having to change any Parameter when connecting the rotary.

One thing to watch is only connect the rotary when the power is off.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

you should not have to change any parameters setting 30 sets the type of rotary that it is e stop should be in before you hit enter. hit the setting page type 30 then cursor down then cursor to the right until you see the rotary that you have then hit enter with the estop in or servos off.

I did as both of you suggested, and got the parameter enabled and selected my table.

When I went to jog the A, it gave me an 'Axis not zeroed warning'. I tried to zero that axis using the auto origin, but it just kept going in circles, must have gone 1200 degrees before I finally stopped it.

Just for experiment purposes I changed the parameter that tells it there's no zero switch and tried again. The table moved a bit and called itself zero and I was feeling optimistic til I put it in jog mode and tried to move the A axis and it came up with a motor error and 'A AXIS Z CH MIS' error, which I can't find much info on.

Any thoughts?

The table may have a faulty switch. If it is a 1994 model it will be a microswitch. Have a look inside and see what you can find. If this has not been used for a while it is not unusual to have switches hang up; maybe there is crud on it.

The table itself says it's a 1997.

The faults seem to indicate a failure of the encoder, cable, or bad connection at the P4 connector.

Could an improper setting of which rotary table I have be a problem? I'm not sure the model of the rotary table and just guessed via size what model it was as I scanned through the factory loaded ones. Being that the rotary table is three years newer, perhaps I need some special setup other than selecting a model?

I don't think you need any special setup procedure.

Does the table not have a nameplate giving the model #?

The reason I suggest looking for a switch that might be sticking is that the way the table zeroes is it turns until it hits a switch then backs up until the controller gets the Z channel pulse from the encoder.

Have you turned the parameter back on? I suggest turning it back on then go to the diagnostics page and find the bit that is for the zero switch on the table. When the table rotates this should change from 0 to 1.

No, the table doesn't have a nameplate. The only numbers I found on it were on top and they show the number 4120 and a build of 1997.

Due to the table diameter (8.27"), I believe it's an HRT-210.

The two errors I am getting when trying to move the table either via pulse wheel or program are:

A Axis Z CH Mis
    A Motor Z Fault

..and in the history I see 'over voltage' and L1-L2 phase mismatch even though I never saw that alarm myself.

Both the A errors, when checked in the book, seem to indicate a bad cable or bad encoder. I'm hoping not since I hate chasing shorts and don't relish the idea of sending this rotary out for rebuild already.

Where would I look for the switch on this if it were an HRT-210?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph@nes View Post
    ...The two errors I am getting when trying to move the table either via pulse wheel or program are:

A Axis Z CH Mis
    A Motor Z Fault
    Where would I look for the switch on this if it were an HRT-210?
    Are these faults still happening after you restored the Parameter?

Is it not possible now to just make the table keep rotating when you try to zero it?

If you take the end cover off the housing you will see the motor. It is a while since I looked at one but I seem to recall there is a switch in there. I always look for microswitches that are sticking and until I have found one and proved it is working or not working I never go any deeper. So far switches have always been the problem for me. And I guess I am lucky because they started working after being tapped a few times with a plastic hammer .

I did as you suggested and found the diagnostic bit that tells whether the axis is home or not. When I begin moving the axis, it changes from 0 to 1. Sometimes when I move one step, back up one step, it will change back to zero. Sometimes it flickers like crazy from 0 to 1 and the rotary table 'hums' as it's trying to keep itself in position. As I rotate the table VERY slowly it stays on 1 and doesn't throw a fault. Get too quick with the pulse wheel and that bit will flash zero (sometimes) and one of those errors. Upon hitting the reset button a couple times, it will often be registering zero again even though it's not near home (I don't think).

That's what's happening. I'm lost, haha.

And no, I haven't been able to replicate the 'constant rotation' home cycle that happened yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph@nes View Post
    ...That's what's happening. I'm lost, haha....
    Unfortunately you are at the stage where I pick up the phone to dial the local Haas dealer and scream Help. Sorry

Well thanks for the input so far! I really do appreciate it!

I'll keep checking back through the day but I'm thinking that this is going to need encoder repair. LOVELY!

One other quick note, the table I have has an air input, I'm assuming for air brake. I do not have that connected at the moment, can this cause issues?

I would want to have the air connected, I believe the brake needs air to release (just going by the way my HRT310 works). Funny thing though, I would expect you to get an "A axis overheat" fault if the thing did much rotating with the brake applied.

The motor "hum factor" was something I experienced when I first hooked up my nameplate-less HRT310. It seemed like the motor was quivering all the time. A call into Haas tech support gave me some new parameter settings for that axis, I believe the only change was #282 Max 3rd Deriv, which was to be set to 1000000000, from zero, IIRC. The settings may be different for yours.

I've seen my control toss an error a time or two, when I begin homing the single axis immediately after installing the table. It generally clears up after I reset, and then try homing again.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

what setting did you set setting 30 to and did you turn off the machine after you cahnged the setting? with rotary parameters there are a few that you need to re boot if you cahnged them. make sure you did not set setting 30 to hrt210b or hrt210bl make sure it is set to "hrt210" and make sure you power off the machine after you change the setting

the air not being hooked up should not affect the unit the brake clamps with air on. i always hook up the unit without air first. it is spring loaded to release.

what is the software version of the machine? when you first power on the haas it comes up with a number like ver 7.xx.

I'll look at that and let you know in a minute.

I only had basic options like 210, 310, nothing with extra letters. It's currently set to HRT210.

Software version 4.38E.

And I connected the air to it, no change in behavior.

Page 1 of 2 12