586,069 active members*
3,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC plasma shopping help.

I have decided finally that this is going to be a purchase in the near future and need input from people who own and operate machines. I will list my concerns below for you guys to give input on and select machines that fit for me.

User friendly - I have about as much cnc knowledge as the average family dog!
    Reliability - I need it to function without working on it constantly.
    Size - 4x8 or 5x10 I may never ever really need 5x10 but may get it as a just in case.
    Power input - 220 volts and hopefully they will give me 3-400 amp service in my new man cave (200 amp) minimal service in shop though.
    Cost - I don’t want to spend over 20k for everything but I also don’t want something that is incompatible with anything useful.

Where I am currently in my shopping…

Gofab CNC looks well built but found some software horror stories about what will and will not work. I’m ignorant of all this so it was people complaining about stuff I have zero clue about, however they seemed very passionate about something being wrong. Also did not find a ton of information on the plasma systems they use which I would probably purchase because it would be compatible.

STV Motorsports tables look good, although I currently have a 60i TDynamics machine I am a big big hypertherm fan of the older systems. I am not sure about the sync stuff and expensive consumables. My 60i runs a torch from plasmadyne that uses hypertherm consumables because of prices. If not for the new hypertherm sync models I would almost be sold on these fully.

The cheap Chinese tables that come with new old stock “legacy” hypertherm systems seem great but I am really unsure about the lack of software and controls of these machines. Also “Made in China” usually means hard to get parts or long wait times for parts on anything I have dealt with.

I have looked at numerous other systems new but they require an inquiry on a price quote and that tells me that they sell the thing at a different price to different people and just rubs me wrong.

Used systems…I see a bunch out there but what are the bad ones and what do I need to look for or beware of on a used machine?

Thanks for all your input!

Re: CNC plasma shopping help.

Cant say much for the new systems but we just bought a used Wright table with Hypertherm and I'm not real impressed. Don't some reading on them after buying ( yea wrong way to do it ) and they have some issues that seem to be common. limit switches go bad.wiring on ours didn't hold up good. We are still learning to run it though but it's not what we thought it would be. If you by used make sure you can go see it cut in person or get a live video of it.

Re: CNC plasma shopping help.

Hope you will find a CNC machine that suits your needs with usps tracking number.