586,100 active members*
3,187 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > Before installing SolidWorks 2008.

Before installing SolidWorks 2008.

Here is an announcement from SolidWorks:

Notice: SolidWorks 2008 will block the loading of 3rd party SolidWorks add-ins created using the old style MFC 4.2 extension DLL architecture.
    Testing of SolidWorks 2008 has revealed severe instability with add-ins created using this architecture.

Users will see the following message when attempting to load an add-in using this old architecture: " is incompatible with this version of SolidWorks and cannot be loaded. Check with vendor for compatibility information."

This will affect any Solution Partner or internally developed add-in products using MFC 4.2 extension DLL architecture when used in conjunction with SolidWorks 2008. This does not affect SolidWorks 2007 and earlier releases.

This does not affect add-ins created in VB, VB.Net, C# or those communicating with SolidWorks via the COM interface.

Please direct questions to your local support provider.

Take note that CAMWorks 2007 WILL NOT run in SolidWorks 2008. If you try SolidWorks will immediately shut down.
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

I have solidworks 2007 and camworks 2007 with sn# from my job my boss
    dose not want to update to solidworks 2008 and camworks 2008 so I got
    my own copy of solidworks 2008 but when I install 2008 2007 will not work
    any more sn# are different. Is there a way to run 2008 and 2007 on the
    same computer with diffrent sn#. camworks 2007 addin will not work in 2008.

Talking Instability?

Instability?
    Seems more like an anti-piracy scheme to me, just like wrecking backward compatibilty trying to make everybody buy new updates.
    OK! If new features need new structures that's fine, but let the user decide whether the new feature is applicable to their needs. Why must we keep asking the big people who want the work done with the tightest of margins to send us their cad files in an earlier version. I gave up trying to install a legit program for a company and told them to elsewhere after fighting with the licence server installation for 1/2 a day.
    I object to a 1/2meg PDF instruction document that a programmer can't decode.

Why does an ACAD2007 .dwg file need to have personal looking information out of the registry in it? Nobody NEEDS to know WHERE a file was generated, or on WHOSE computer, and the CPU serial number.
    FIGHT THE MONSTERS! Don't give in so easily!

Hah! VISTA still don't work too well. Now that's shooting yourself in the foot!

end rant....

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by BUD B View Post
    I have solidworks 2007 and camworks 2007 with sn# from my job my boss
    dose not want to update to solidworks 2008 and camworks 2008 so I got
    my own copy of solidworks 2008 but when I install 2008 2007 will not work
    any more sn# are different. Is there a way to run 2008 and 2007 on the
    same computer with diffrent sn#. camworks 2007 addin will not work in 2008.
    I'll say no, you can't have Solidworks 2007 and 2008 on the same system with 2 different serial numbers. You can have 07 and 08 of Solidworks on the same system using the same serial number, as long as the 07 is greater than service pack 3ish and you are registered with Solidworks. You can use Camworks 2008 with Solidworks 2007, either load it from the DVD or download the version 2008-07 from Geometric (aka Teksoft). Your licence for Camworks has to be up to date to allow 2008 to work. Camworks 07 won't work in Solidworks 08.

Scott
    Some of my best finds were in the trash....

niel: about the rant, there is a bit of info missing.

Basically in this version solidworks have ported everything to microsofts new wizz-bang graphics api, and in doing so they have killed off an old legacy interface from 2001. The problem is they would be blamed if they hadnt done the gui port, just as ferociously as they are being blamed now for turning off an obsolete and buggy api.

The real fault is that plugin developers have been intentionally using the old api, because its still there. Now if sw had put this off for another 5 versions i would bet money all the plug in people would carry on using the old api, and the same bugs would show then.

At some point people have to put down the old technology and adopt the new, its just unfortunate that the parties involved couldnt have planned things a bit better. Its easy for devs to whine that porting is hard, but to be fair that is part of life when developing software, progress happens.

Just one little thing to add, apparently SW2003 was when solidworks started asking addin developers to move to the new com interface, and support for the old mfc interface was officially meant to end at SW2004, but was continued to 2007. You cant really blame solidworks if they gave everyone 5 years to get their acts together.