586,717 active members*
3,107 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Yes, that's probably true....the build has just been completed and the specs are being drafted ready for the product release....go to the build thread and get into the picture.....there are a number of options being considered.

The two example I posted were of two different mills that I personally think are the ideal design.....we all differ in our likes.

The Toolcraft model is very interesting, made in India, and has very good potential.....approx $6,000 if I recall correctly.
    Ian.

Having just read this thread, I would like to add something. There were several comments about using a weight to offset the weight of the milling head on the z axis. While this is fine for offsetting the weight, it doubles the mass that you are required to move and also increases friction. All this will mean larger motors needed to attain the same accelerations. On older machine tools that use counterweights (Horizontal Boring Mills, Slotters) the weight usually offset something that either wouldn't be moved during the machining process or would move very slowly.

Hi, the weight solution has been used for compensation, but unless you are accelerating and decelerating at very high speed it probably won't be a problem.......gas struts seem to be the favourite, whether successful or not I don't know.

I think if the Z stepper can handle the load on the uplift without missing a beat or overheating, then you have no problem.

Inertia loads are a problem that counterweights will only increase.
    Ian.

Page 3 of 3 123