586,121 active members*
3,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

09-07 jgro build

After stumbling on the CNCZone site the other day, I have to say I am completely blown away! I never knew! As I am browsing I find the jgro router design, and again - amazing! I have been reading posts non-stop ever since, downloaded the plans, and last night I got to work. Mind, I have lots of other major projects on the list, but I couldn't help myself. There's just so much information, and my Dad was a machinist all his life - I wish he were alive to see this - not only would he have loved it and help to build the thing, but can you imagine the experience he could have given me? I just kick myself...

Anyway, I made a start, as I said. Picked the z axis (arbitrarily) and it's off to a good start, but the layout on each piece is what really takes the time (!). Might have found an error on cnc_dtl40 sheet (z axis bearing support). The dimensions in the drawing list the width at 3.125" and the stock size (and the stock list for that matter) list the width at 2.785". I made mine 3.125" to match the drawing.

Here are some photos:

The partial assembly (needs the linear guide assemblies, and I won't build the router clamp quite yet)

My router table set-up for the dados

I am cleaning up all edges on my jointer, then sanding with 220

Tapping (1/4-20 here, with one of my Dad's old taps - yes, I am doing by hand and not in the drill press!)

This is going to take me a long time, so stay tuned!

- CNC-Dad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03672lr.jpg   DSC03674lr.jpg   DSC03675lr.jpg   DSC03676lr.jpg  

Welcome

hey Dad, welcome to the zone, i'm sure you will if you haven't already, find a wealth of information here, whatever your question, i'm sure 90% the answer is here, if not just ask, good luck on your build, jgro is a great "foot wetter", and have fun doing so.

Thanks tajord, for the words of encouragement! There is lots of good info, but I would also add lots of great people willing to help! Most appreciated, seeing as I got the bug from looking at the site in the first place.

Just got back from the local sports shop and Lowes to get:

1 1/4" x 72" aluminum angle (reg. $28, but it had a bend in it, so they gave it to me for $20) - the bend will not interfere as I only need about 4' total for the build.

Various nuts and bolts for the z axis assembly ($4)

8 ABEC 3 skate bearings, again for the z ($9)

MDF - had scraps on hand ($0)

So far have about 2 1/2 hours into the build, and that does not include the countless hours on studying the plans, and sourcing and gathering materials.

For anyone interested, my home shop is equipped thusly:

10" table saw
    14" band saw
    20" scroll saw (selling)
    8 1/4" compound sliding miter saw
    10" radial arm saw (selling)
    14" wood lathe
    12" wood lathe (selling)
    12" disc sander
    6" jointer
    10" planer
    1 hp dust collectors (2)
    5 hp air compressor w/various nailers, staplers, etc.
    13" drill press w/ mortising attachment
    8" drill press w/ drum sanding attachment
    many portable electric sanders, routers, saws, drills, etc.
    my Dad's old machinist's toolbox (with the tools of course, taps, drills, end mills, etc.)
    many, many hand tools

By the way, the only reason I am selling those tools I mentioned above is space (to fit my new jgro) and in one case (the 12" lathe), I have upgraded.

Just thought y'all might enjoy the full picture. I'll keep the time and spend logs as up to date as possible.

-CNC-dad

hi i am a newbie to all this i have learned so much. i have a question does anyone know if the jgro cnc machine able to cut aluminum. or is it not rigid enough.