586,110 active members*
3,289 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Problem Designing Part

Problem Designing Part

Hey guys

I need to make a 2d drawing, basically I need to cut out a hole in a panel for a standard 9 pin serial port, now obviously the curves are causing me problems, how the hell do I got about make int eh part in Rhino?

Im really struggling

DJH

A hole for a nine pin serial connector is just a trapezoid with rounded edges, plus a couple of rounded doodads sticking out each side for the screws... (IIRC) no?

There are about a million ways to draw a trapezoid. You can establish a midline somewhere, then make two horizontal parallel lines that represent the height of the hole, make an angled line that represents one side, mirror that around the midline. Then use fillet to trim and round the corners.

Afterwards, draw one circle that represents the screw hole, mirror it to the other side, and using quad osnaps pull line segments across from one circle to the other to make a pill shape. Then select all and either call trim and start picking segments to delete, or use CurveBoolean to get the outer contour (pick somewhere outside the whole set of curves to get the outer contour).

Do you need an example?

HTH, --ch

Hiya

If you could yes

Im struggling with Cad in general so though this could be a good starting point, I am used to using my machine for just prototyping PCb's, plus I am very new to all this anyway.

Thanks

DJH

Attached is a Rhino file... some notes in the file. No dimensional accuracy, though, I just eyeballed the connector in the back of my computer...

HTH, --ch
    Attached Files Attached Files

thats great thank you

Im just trying to figure out how to set the dimensions of things.

My biggest problem was the fillet was using the lines, so reducing their straight length

DJH

My biggest problem was the fillet was using the lines, so reducing their straight length
    Yes, either you lay things out as if there were no fillets (you need to figure out where the sharp corners are), or you lay out the fillets first as circles, then connect all up with straight lines and tangent object snaps.

Also keep in mind the following:

1) Rhino is not a parametric program, so you need to input the correct dimensions while you're drawing, not after. You can always correct later, but that may mean redrawing some bits, so it is best to lay out as accurately as possible to begin with.

2) Get in the habit of reading the command line. It will tell you what kind of input it needs, as well as a lot of other important info.

3) All commands which require numerical input can be satisfied either by typing the value on the keyboard (it appears in the command prompt), or by making a screen pick. If you pick on the screen, use object snaps to guide your placement, as well as the ortho constraint if you're drawing rectilinear stuff.

4)Just try stuff. Rhino has virtually unlimited undo, so if you don't like the result, hit the undo button.

5) Read the Help. It is one of the best written help files around. Also, do the training manuals on the CD.

6) Check in at the official Rhino newsgroup, you will find help there 24/7.

--ch