586,072 active members*
4,733 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > New to me Tree journeyman 350 delta 50m
Page 1 of 2 12

New to me Tree journeyman 350 delta 50m

I just purchased a journeyman 350 with a delta 50 controller and it's stuck in Estop I've checked all the limit switches and overloads I have gotten it to boot a couple times and everything seems to work except it will only move in the + direction, do any of you have any experience with the 350 and delta 50 controller and common problems? I have owned a J325 with the delta 20 controller for 12+ years and I love it but this 350 is setup a lot different and idk the common issues with them.
    Thanks in advance

Re: New to me Tree journeyman 350 delta 50m

... whats on the Fault/Status screen of the 50?....good old Tree's are great cast iron.. what factory Options did you get with this new aventure 50?

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ... whats on the Fault/Status screen of the 50?....good old Tree's are great cast iron.. what factory Options did you get with this new aventure 50?
    Estop hit reset to continue, but I've only gotten it to boot without a fault a couple of times to were when I hit reset it will engage the axis drives and once they're active everything works except it'll only move in the plus direction, I've attached a picture of the fault screen, as for the 50 it's basically the same package as the 325 I have has no ridged tapping or anything but I think it has macros and subroutines

...1st thing make a Program named MDI and use it as a MDI mode

...so, after Referencing machine (Cold Start) on each axis from the Jog menu the machine only Jogs in the + direction? Also, when on the Fault screen use one of softkeys to view what Options you have from factory...... HDD, Buffered Input, etc etc

...so, after Referencing machine (Cold Start) on each axis from the Jog menu the machine only Jogs in the + direction? Also, when on the Fault screen use one of softkeys to view what Options you have from factory...... HDD, Buffered Input, etc etc
    Yes it will only move in the + direction, suspect is the DC servo drive board/boards I removed them and the cooling fans had caked the left 2 drive boards with dirt and grease I cleaned them with electrical cleaner and a tooth brush and actually had all 3 moving in both directions temporarily and I also figured out that someone had the high/low gear range plugs reversed on the shift solenoids and it was throwing an error, but it started throwing an error again but when I do get it to boot without an error and get the drives to engage I'm only getting movement in the + direction again ????

the options screen in the picture

...sounding like a possible PS problem.... one problem the Delta 40-60 CNC series controllers that I have read and seen in the past is AC Ripple is to high on the DC Outputs..... How comfortable are you with using a Volt meter on Live wiring? Because, we need to check the 5vdc, +12.vdc, -12vdc, and 24vdc outputs from the D50MU PS. There are some Test points inside the PC Case.
    https://www.dynapath.com/services-faq2.php

Did you get any Autocon/Delta manuals with the machine? There are two..one for Programming the PLC for machine tool builders and one manual for Operation..

....one more thing we should do is backup your Parameters and the PLC EXE files....is your FDD working? Also could use RS232C port#1

DJ

...sounding like a possible PS problem.... one problem the Delta 40-60 CNC series controllers that I have read and seen in the past is AC Ripple is to high on the DC Outputs..... How comfortable are you with using a Volt meter on Live wiring? Because, we need to check the 5vdc, +12.vdc, -12vdc, and 24vdc outputs from the D50MU PS. There are some Test points inside the PC Case.

Did you get any Autocon/Delta manuals with the machine? There are two..one for Programming the PLC for machine tool builders and one manual for Operation..

....one more thing we should do is backup your Parameters and the PLC EXE files....is your FDD working? Also could use RS232C port#1

DJ
    I can check for AC ripple I was actually trying to find the test points last night, I got 3 books with it but 2 of them are the same, 1 is the tree J350 book and the other is the operations manual, but I have every book made for the delta 20, also someone has already backed the parameters and PLC files on a floppy but I'd much rather have them on a flash drive I've got an rs232 to USB adapter that I drip feed my J325 with I can use, what's the key switch button on the side for? programming mode? I'll send you my number in a private message

Hi- Do you have the Operation, nd Installation manuals for the Delta 50? I have both that I could part with for a lot less than what I paid for them. I also have a complete Delta 50 chassis, and control box that came off my J320 mill. The CRT is fairly new with no burn-in. All that is missing is the pulse gen handwheel. It comes with two power supplies. The only problem with the system was the Motherboard would boot randomly once in a while, but always seemed to do it while in an operation. All the hardware I would let go for just the cost of shipping. I could send pictures If needed. Send me a PM if interested.

DJ
    Well I said I was going to private message you but I can't seem to figure out how to from my cellphone, but you can email me at [email protected] and I'll send you my number

Quote Originally Posted by fahrphrompuken View Post
    Hi- Do you have the Operation, nd Installation manuals for the Delta 50? I have both that I could part with for a lot less than what I paid for them. I also have a complete Delta 50 chassis, and control box that came off my J320 mill. The CRT is fairly new with no burn-in. All that is missing is the pulse gen handwheel. It comes with two power supplies. The only problem with the system was the Motherboard would boot randomly once in a while, but always seemed to do it while in an operation. All the hardware I would let go for just the cost of shipping. I could send pictures If needed. Send me a PM if interested.
    Where are you located? I would imagine shipping would be pretty expensive on all of that unless you box it yourself and print your own labels

DJ
    I have a good spare delta 20 power supply that has the correct output voltages I'd just have to wire a plug to it to adapt it to the delta 50

I'm in SW Michigan. I could box and label the items. Would probably have to remove the CRT and control panels and scrap the enclosure to save on package size and cost.
    I'll take some pictures of it all and post a link here.

Quote Originally Posted by Redzilla View Post
    Well I said I was going to private message you but I can't seem to figure out how to from my cellphone, but you can email me at [email protected] and I'll send you my number
    ...Sure, I'll do that. Check your junk mail.
    DJ

...Sure, I'll do that. Check your junk mail.
    DJ
    it's fixed! After the servo drive boards set over night and dried I fired it up this morning and it works perfect I've been using it all day! I did check the ripple for the heck of it and they're all under 30

..that's Great news. those are Servo Dynamics Amp's yes?

I have a SD1525 manual some where if, needed.. Also, I assume you know about using the TM4 Lag Display setting? use it to check/adjust a couple things if, needed.
    Keep us posted,
    DJ

I have a SD1525 manual some where if, needed.. Also, I assume you know about using the TM4 Lag Display setting? use it to check/adjust a couple things if, needed.
    Keep us posted,
    DJ
    It has baldor drives in it, yes I checked the axis lag it's dead on the money! This machine looks like it has very very low hours on it! They had the coolant tray and return slots all blocked off because it looked like they were using tapping fluid, I'm guessing a fab shop bought it for 1 job drilling and tapping a bunch of holes on 1 big job and its sat the rest of the time. The paint, table, ways and whole machine are in excellent condition, like new practically, I'll attach pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20231103_004947.jpg  

Keep us posted,
    DJ
    There is 1 thing I don't like about it, it only has a 3500 rpm spindle, from 50rpm to 1000rpm it uses low gear and from 1001rpm to 3500rpm it switches to high gear, it uses a 1725rpm motor I wonder if I could get it rewound for 3450rpm and change the parameters to run low gear to 2000rpm and high gear for 2001rpm to 7000rpm?????

On my J320 the speed control was a variable sheave belt drive with a back gear. The sheave was controlled by a closed loop D/A controller that used a prox sensor on a 10pt sprocket for speed sensing, and a stepper motor to control sheave spacing.
    It never worked correctly, and speed was limited to about 3k RPM. If the sheave travel were slightly off it would smoke the belt.

I finally scrapped that setup and installed a VFD with the +/- 10vdc spindle control signal connected. Speed changes were smooth, and I could set the freq. limits to bring the RPMs up to about 6k. I settled on about 4500 just because I wasn't sure if the bearings could handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by fahrphrompuken View Post
    ...If, Redzilla does not want any of the Delta50 stuff....I would be intrerested. I'm near Omaha,NE for shipping.

Thanks,
    DJ

Page 1 of 2 12