586,116 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Playing with an old setup (trying to remember what´s what)

Playing with an old setup (trying to remember what´s what)

Hello, I was hoping to get some friendly advice to help me remember the things I am not sure I knew in first place. I have a a few machines that I am playing with.
    I have a DIY CNC that I built years ago and haven't touched do to space restraints to use it. I wouldn't say I FINISHED this project as I was learning as I went along. I recently have converted a MIni mill to run on steppers and would like to use the control box I have for the DIY on both machines. I will try to list specs if there is anything I miss just let me know.

Machine #1: Was built to be a plasma/router/engraver table, added vinyl plotter cutter.
    Nema23 425oz. 4.2A steppers. - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2 for "Y"&"A" axis. 1 for "X" axis. <---- All on a open loop belt drive, can't remember how many teeth on motor pulley.
    4th motor is direct coupled to ball screw Z axis with a T8 screw 8mm lead screw.
    I had prox. type limits on here, but when I converted to the Pokeys57 controller I had to use contact type limit switches..
    Just a cheapo 500w spindle from Amazon until I had place to use it more.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mini mill conversion. (machine #2)
    NEMA 23/24 dual shaft motors.
    Z axis- https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 <--------- Direct coupled to 5mm ball screw - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    X & Y axis using these - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    The X axis is direct coupled to Ball screw on modified slide table. The Y axis is driven by closed loop belt drive (40t motor pulley/ 60t on lead screw) <---- any advice on the ratio here is welcome. I have a 20t/40t/30t option for motor drive. The 60t is pressed onto the back of a hand crank.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Control box
    PoKeys57CNC Board
    TB6600 Drivers - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    0-48v Adjustable power supply for Drivers - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Also houses the power supply for spindle.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way I left the drivers DIP switches last they are set to 8 microsteps and 4A output.
    I knew nothing about microstepping at the time and still don't know much.. But I have heard some say that a direct drive should use a 8 step and belt may use 16? In the end I just use Mach3 to set the microsteps in the settings screen.
    The power supply is set to 30v and I somewhat remember setting up the first machine and had the power turned up to 45-48v and the steppers kept stalling or overrunning. lowering the voltage solved whatever it was, but this could have been other things causing the stalling right? I may want to revisit this after the mini mill is perfected.
    So now I am starting to wire the 2nd machine and get things moving.
    Can I use the same settings and just move the control box I made from one machine to the other? I am using Aviation plugs to accomplish this. I realize the steppers are slightly different on the mini mill but is there a sweet spot I could have the drivers and the voltage set to to run both machines?

Or will I have to be sure to flip switches when moving from one to the other? Voltage should be relatively close on all motors.

I realize some of the stuff used is "tinker toy" stuff but it is what I have at moment so please be nice to that extent.

Re: Playing with a old setup (trying to remeber whats what)

"The power supply is set to 30v and I somewhat remember setting up the first machine and had the power turned up to 45-48v and the steppers kept stalling or overrunning. lowering the voltage solved whatever it was, but this could have been other things causing the stalling right? I may want to revisit this after the mini mill is perfected."

Playing around with this today I turned up the voltage slightly to around 35v. Things worked okay for a test run until the X axis stopped in the middle of a circle pocket and ended up making a y axis slot LOL.
    So I now remember what was happening that led to me dropping the power to 30v. The TB6600 driver for the X axis cut out. The stepper wasn't electrical locked it is like the driver shut off (protection?) It did this before with the 4A 425ox steppers on the DIY CNC.

I hear guys saying they run 48-60 volt through some drivers. for nema 23-34 setups. What is the issue that is causing the shut down. I might try running the same circle gcode without steppers connected and voltage up to see if they shut down with no real current draw.
    Should I flip the dips to 3A and see if does same thing?

Sometime you just need to sound it out and look back at it..... The power supply is a advertised 10A max. but at what voltage? The full 48v? SO if I have the (x4) drivers set for 4A (12A total possible draw)and voltage tuned up ohms law come in there somewhere right? Now on the mini mill I only need the 3 drivers so maybe I will unplug the A axis driver and see if it still acts up at the 35v... I think the power supply could be it, plus it is regulated. But shouldn't all the drivers cut out if the power supply was the culprit?

Re: Playing with a old setup (trying to remeber whats what)

So its a new day and the math doesn't lie.
    Basic Ohms law is that :
    30v @ 4A is 120w x4 is right on the threshold of the 480w power supply.
    35v @ 4A it is 140w
    48v@4A is 192w!
    So given all the above mumbo jumbo.... Would I be okay with a non adjustable 48v power supply that is 12.5A and maybe drop running voltage to around 46v for a buffer when running all 4 steppers/drivers on DIY CNC machine #1 This will be another regulated P/S just because I have no room for the much bigger than what was installed in the custom control box.

Let me know if you think I am on the right track here.