586,388 active members*
3,365 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

MELDAS 500 FCA520A-MR ??

Does anyone familiar with that controller? (MELDAS 500 FCA520A-MR)

I just bought used machine in good condition (OKK RRM-3V) but I have several problem

1. Display in japaneese (Can I switch to english?)
    2. I can't find the RS232 port (How to connect my PC?)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Andre

Go to diagnostics and press the menu key PLC I/F or the one that has I/F and some Japanese characters. You should see a bunch of 1's and 0's on this page. The cursor will be blinking at the bottom. Type 1001 and move you cursor over near mode and type M. Press input. Now go to parameters where you will be in machine parameters. The menu key at the bottom should say Base. Page forward until you see a parameter lang and type a 1 and input. Power off and on. Should be about the 4th page in under base if you have a 9 inch screen.

RS232 port is located on the QX521 card or if color screen the QC524 card. There should be a cable on there that breaks out to a RS232 port. On OKK's it's usually located on the side of the operation panel under a small cover. If no cable then you will have to manufacture one. Look on meau.com downloads and find the manul for M500 connection. It will show you what you need for that cable.

Good Luck

Chippy

parametric.ms,

I use the following RS232 cable with my 1996 Meldas 520 AMR.

It works with either Hardware or Software handshake settings. My CNC, DNC and PC-settings are for Hardware handshake.

Serial cable pinout (built from 20' Belden 8104 shielded low capacitance RS232 cable):

PC side 9-pin Dsub female <---> CNC side 25 pin Dsub male

2 RxD <---> 2 TxD
    3 TxD <---> 3 RxD
    5 Signal Ground <---> 7 Signal Ground
    7 RTS <---> 5 CTS
    8 CTS <---> 4 RTS

Pins 4 DTR & 6 DSR are jumpered at 9-pin Dsub female end.

Pins 6 DSR & 20 DTR are jumpered at 25-pin Dsub male end.
    Pin 8 is not used at my CNC side's 25-pin Dsub male end, but may need be jumpered to 6 & 20 for your CNC. Please check this. Try without jumpering pin 8 to start with. If it works, then fine. I don't think there is a wire behind pin 8 in your CNC's 25-pin D-sub socket.

The cable shield is not connected in any end!

All my settings for CNC, DNC program and PC can be found in this other thread on the "Zone".

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...005#post570005

/ Peter

Quote Originally Posted by chippy1 View Post
    Go to diagnostics and press the menu key PLC I/F or the one that has I/F and some Japanese characters. You should see a bunch of 1's and 0's on this page. The cursor will be blinking at the bottom. Type 1001 and move you cursor over near mode and type M. Press input. Now go to parameters where you will be in machine parameters. The menu key at the bottom should say Base. Page forward until you see a parameter lang and type a 1 and input. Power off and on. Should be about the 4th page in under base if you have a 9 inch screen.

RS232 port is located on the QX521 card or if color screen the QC524 card. There should be a cable on there that breaks out to a RS232 port. On OKK's it's usually located on the side of the operation panel under a small cover. If no cable then you will have to manufacture one. Look on meau.com downloads and find the manul for M500 connection. It will show you what you need for that cable.

Good Luck

Chippy
    Hi, Chippy
    I bet you're an expert for mitsu dude I just want to make sure which button should I press to find I/F? (see my attach?)
    If There is RS232 port on my controller, it means I can use 3D interpolation, right? :cheers:

I'll try it tomorrow, its over late at night here
    Talk to you soon if any progress

Thanks for all info

Regards,
    Andre
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FCA520A-MR.jpg   FCA.jpg  

Thanks pete for cable info you're the best :cheers:

Okay, look at the QX522 card which is the middle PCB in your CNC cabinet. The connector name for RS232 is CSA21. SHould be the bottom connector on that PCB.

To chnage the parameter you need to go to Diagnostics. Press the third or fourth key at the top right hand side of your key board. Then press key 4 below the CRT. That should be the I/F page. Then type 1001 and move cursor to the third set of parenthesis and type in M. Press enter and then press the second key at the top right hand side. This should get you to the paremeters. Follow what I said in my first thread and look for the parameter lang. Type in a 1 and enter. Power off and on. Judging by the language on your keyboard, you may not be able to change the language to English.

Regards,

Chippy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 25 12.59.jpg  

chippy1,

Don't forget to mention that the cable on your drawing is the intermediate cable between the CNC control cabinet and the operation panel. This cable should be there alraedy and the right side connector on the drawing is the 25 pin D-sub RS232 receptacle at the operation panel, also known as RS232C, CH1. Between this recaptacle and your PC you can use an RS232 cable as I described in post #3.

parametric.ms,
    If you do not have this intermediate cable installed, let us know and I can post the configuration of a direct cable between the QX522 card and your PC.

Warning, if you install an "alien" 15 pin D-sub connector to the CSA21 port on the QX522 card make sure that the securing screws are M2,6 and not the more common, course and larger, screws normaly found on D-sub connectors. You can damage the CSA21 port threads if you are not careful. As "plan B", you could replace the threaded posts at CSA21 to a hybrid custom version with M2,6 male threads and the thicker type female threads. When replacing them do it carefully, do not overtighten and do one post at a time. Also make sure that you are not charged with static electricity. PCB's are very expensive.

By the way, I think that the 25 pin D-sub RS232 receptacle at the operation panel, also has M2,6 threads, so be careful.

Re. the language:
    I have a Meldas 520 AMR too and it works perfect with english language parameter.

/Peter

Quote Originally Posted by parametric.ms View Post

I'll try it tomorrow, its over late at night here
    Talk to you soon if any progress

Thanks for all info
    Regards,
    Andre

Andre,

Any progress yet? We all want to know how you solved your problem(s). Feedback is important so we all get confirmation of what works and what does not work.

/Peter

Sorry All for late reply my progress,

@chippy, after I turn on control, I make a zero return position. For Z working good. Y axis move to wrong direction, X axis move to right direction, but can't stop at 0. (X,Y axis can't return to zero position)
    my screen look freeze. I can't jump to any menu at top keypad. I just can go to last menu at right hand side. I choose no.7 then INPUT, I see I/F menu at third button under my screen. when I push that button I see my I/O but I can't input "M" at next parenthesis. My "M" character is under "/" key. (I already try with hold shift key but no luck)
    1. Can I use this menu?
    2. How to input "M" at parenthesis?
    3. I see Z70 alarm, what is it mean? Is it related with Zero Return process?

Thanks,
    Andre

@Peter, Sorry I just came back from out of town

parametric.ms,
    See if I can help.

You want to come to Machine Parameters? It is a little tricky the first time.
    You do like this:

1. Press DIAGN IN/OUT button.
    2. Press Menu key under the screen until you can see the option PLC I/F.
    3. Press PLC I/F key under the screen.
    4. Make settings: DEVICE (1001) DATA ( ) MODE ( M ).
    5. Press green INPUT CALC button. You will see no change, but leave it at that.
    6. Press TOOL PARAM button.This brings you to the MACHINE PARAMETERS menu which is now open.
    7. Press MENU until the ZP-RTN option is visible.
    8. Press ZP-RTN key under the screen.

9. Check or edit what is wrong here. By the Way, did you solve the language thing? Maybe you also find the language settings here.

When you are done, you must go back from "M" mode to "U" mode:

10. Press DIAGN IN/OUT button.
    11. Press Menu key under the screen until you can see the option PLC I/F.
    12. Press PLC I/F key under the screen.
    13. Make settings: DEVICE (1001) DATA ( ) MODE ( U )
    14. Press green INPUT CALC button. You will see no change, but leave it at that. This brings you back to normal "USER PARAMETER" status.

/Peter

HI,

It looks like the methods by which you get their has been defined by CNC Viking very well.

Before you do the process that gets you to the parameters note the whole alarm on the diagnostic screen. Z70 is only part of the alarm.

I imagine this pertains to absolute position has been lost. That would mean that you may need a battery for the drives. This is usually located on the termination of the last drive. Usually the the spindle. There will be a little white or manila box that hold the batteries. However, usually you would loose the position on all drives not just X & Y.

Let us know the actuall alarm and we will try to go from there.

Regards,

Chippy

thanks for your fast attention

the major problem is my screen is freeze, I can't jump to anymenu

after I turn on NC, all menus are disable, except the F0 (The last menu on top right hand side). I see 1 to 7 item on screen. Can you tell me what is it in english?? cos after I choose no.7 then INPUT, I see menu on below CRT
    3rd I/F with japaneese, 4th NC in japaneese
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FCA520A-MR copy.jpg  

Andre,

I got your PM. Thanks for your appreciation.

1. When I start NC all menus work even before I Home axis X, Y, Z. Everything work except program run from Tape, MDI, Auto. It is possible to change parameters and everything.

Maybe there is a memory protect switch somewhere that stops you from doing anything in the menus before you open it? Just grasping a straw here.

2. Yes, you have a strange keypad. Seems that you need to make sure to cross reference all functions to english and attach tape labels on your buttons. Is there no Japanese speaking member on the Zone that can help out? Or try to get hold of an english keypad. I am sure it would fit both physically and electrically.

Here is a picture of my control panel for you to compare with.

/Peter

Andre,

I sent you back a private message before I looked at the thread below. The switches I'm talking about are at the bottom of your picture. Disconnect those from the OP panel. There should be one cable to do this. Then see if you menu keys work.

By the way the F0 key is usually used to access the PLC that the OEM created.

It's possible that the OEM can build in some codes to take your to a customer screen though too.

There is one more thought, if you locate the QX611 PCB there should be some dip switches on this card. Flip dip switch two to the opposite direction then turn your machine back on. This will stop the PLC. If there was something blocking your menu keys, this will release them. Make sure you block up your axis, such as Z when doing so. Not sure how the code is, and if there is a brake, it may release.

Regards,

Chippy

Andre,

I sent you back a private message before I looked at the thread below. The switches I'm talking about are at the bottom of your picture. Disconnect those from the OP panel. There should be one cable to do this. Then see if you menu keys work.

By the way the F0 key is usually used to access the PLC that the OEM created.

It's possible that the OEM can build in some codes to take your to a customer screen though too.

There is one more thought, if you locate the QX611 PCB there should be some dip switches on this card. Flip dip switch two to the opposite direction then turn your machine back on. This will stop the PLC. If there was something blocking your menu keys, this will release them. Make sure you block up your axis, such as Z when doing so. Not sure how the code is, and if there is a brake, it may release.

Regards,

Chippy

Chippy,
    I've try your suggest above, and its correct. After I turn on DIP switches No.2, My keypad menu works normal. I follow your instruction to change display into english but its roll back again to japaneese after I turn OFF DIP switch. What is my real problem?? PLC Ladder or just short circuit on I/O?
    I check whole connection, I find QY231A behind operation panel, its show Green and Red Led Lit, Is it normal?? What is function of QY231?

Need more assistance dude... help me out. This thing make me nut...

Andre,

Is the Red LED always lit on the QY231 card? This means that this card is not communicating with the QX522 PCB which would be located in the main CNC cabinet. The QY231 PCB provides extra I/O to the operation panel such as those switches that I was talking about on the OP panel. The connection between the QX522 and the QY231 is the CSH41A cable. Green LED is Power On.

The fact that when you turn the dip switch lets you have access to the menu keys tells me that either the PLC is looking for something or perhaps the OP still has something wrong.

Try disconnecting the cables CFD83 & CMD82 & CMD81 from the QY231 PCB. Then see if the menu keys are still locked up with the dip switch in the normal condition. Remember to turn power off when disconnecting these cables. Also, use extreme cautions.

Also check for 24 Volts DC on the J4 connector of the QY231 PCB.

There may also be what is called a PLC switch in the User parameters that may shed some light on different options that can be turned on in the PLC.

Andre there are so many things that pertain to the PLC and how it interfaces with the machine.

Did you not get any type of manual that shows operation of this machine?

Regards,

Chippy

Andre,

Is the Red LED always lit on the QY231 card? This means that this card is not communicating with the QX522 PCB which would be located in the main CNC cabinet. The QY231 PCB provides extra I/O to the operation panel such as those switches that I was talking about on the OP panel. The connection between the QX522 and the QY231 is the CSH41A cable. Green LED is Power On.
    Red LED turn off after NC power ON. CSH41A connect to CSH41 on left side QX522 (there is 2 connector CSH41 on QX522, right?)

The fact that when you turn the dip switch lets you have access to the menu keys tells me that either the PLC is looking for something or perhaps the OP still has something wrong.
    Everything looks normal and OK after I turn DIP switch, now I can see some english menu on F0 keys, buts the others keys still locked

Try disconnecting the cables CFD83 & CMD82 & CMD81 from the QY231 PCB. Then see if the menu keys are still locked up with the dip switch in the normal condition. Remember to turn power off when disconnecting these cables. Also, use extreme cautions.
    Still the same condition, LOCKED UP!!

Also check for 24 Volts DC on the J4 connector of the QY231 PCB.
    What??? I can't see any connector on J4.. Is it the problem??? there 4 pin which one is +24V and -24V?

There may also be what is called a PLC switch in the User parameters that may shed some light on different options that can be turned on in the PLC.

Andre there are so many things that pertain to the PLC and how it interfaces with the machine.

Did you not get any type of manual that shows operation of this machine?

Regards,

Chippy
    I do have document but in japaneese and bad copy

could be my QX522 card defective???

chippy, can we discuss more on yahoo???

my ID's : andre_kurniaone

I'm waiting for you, dude

Thanks

Andre,

Sorry, I can't get to Yahoo.

I think QX522 is working correctly. As you say, Red LED disappears when CNC power on. This is good, because QY231 is communicating to QX522. I believe that either connector is fine, however, maybe in some cases it's on right side of QX522. The left connector is for additional I/O for machine. Bets I can answer on that.

Try turning off the PLC again and look at those PLC Switch in user parameters. Try making it english screen first though. Then look at the PLC switch parameters. Sould be a menu button under CRT.

Regards,

Chippy

Andre,

Sorry, I can't get to Yahoo.

I think QX522 is working correctly. As you say, Red LED disappears when CNC power on. This is good, because QY231 is communicating to QX522. I believe that either connector is fine, however, maybe in some cases it's on right side of QX522. The left connector is for additional I/O for machine. Bets I can answer on that.

Try turning off the PLC again and look at those PLC Switch in user parameters. Try making it english screen first though. Then look at the PLC switch parameters. Sould be a menu button under CRT.

Regards,

Chippy
    Which PLC user should I check?

Page 1 of 4 123