586,069 active members*
3,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Wishlist for the next drive (describe your dream drive!)
Page 8 of 11 678910
    Tero

Any progress on a high voltage VSD-E?

Thanks
    Matt

Matt,

No HV version progress since last update. I'll try the 200V mosfets at some point before producing the next batch of drives.

--

There's still lots of work in stepper support development in VSD-E. I managed to develop today an ultimate stepper resonance damping algorith. It seemt to totally kill midband resonance without leaving even traces of vibration :-)

I'm doing final testing of the firmware release candidate to make sure it operates as specified. Currently I'm running drives with SmoothStepper with full 4MHz step rate and everything seems to work flawlessy :-)

Drive integrates very nicely with Mach. Mach will stop automatically if drive faults, and hitting "Reset" from Mach will clear drive faults.

The first firmware will have unfinished stepper support as there is still work to do in it.

Must be soon now...

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    Currently I'm running drives with SmoothStepper with full 4MHz step rate and everything seems to work flawlessy :-)

Drive integrates very nicely with Mach. Mach will stop automatically if drive faults, and hitting "Reset" from Mach will clear drive faults.
    That's very good news - sounds like you are close to release!

I do like the Reset function integration, that will ease the setup... not that I expect to need it often

Best regards,

Jason

Jason, if drives are configured properly, they never fault in normal use but they fault if operator makes an error (such as hitting work piece too hard). Settable fault limits are there for machine & motor protection.

VSD-E release is now really close! We plan to start shipping drives on week 44.

VSD-E manual & final specs has been uploaded to web site:
    http://granitedevices.fi/index.php?q=servo-drive-vsd-e

Each drive comes with small PCB that will greatly help soldering wires to 25 pin D-sub connector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails motorbob1.jpg   motorbob2.jpg   motorbob3.jpg  

Man, I guess there will never be any connection problems with 6 pins/wire

I gotta say, these drives are by far the most universal drive that exists. I guess the only motor they won't run is an induction motor, LOL. Keep up the good work!!!!

Smile Good news!

Each drive comes with small PCB that will greatly help soldering wires to 25 pin D-sub connector.
    Good idea! I'm pleased to see that. Although not a deal breaker, soldering all those pins just for four wires was a concern.

Not long to wait now :banana:

Jason

I was just testing first production units for shipping. The test bench seems to be very effective in its work. It automatically tests all I/O pins and does burn-in testing for power stage. It drives continuous 2*21A current until drive overtemperature protection activates.

All production units passed the test but I fried one MOSFET from my development card which had intentional bad thermal contact to heatsink

Machined heat sinks

Recently I ordered a proto batch of machined & hard anodized heat sinks. I was totally positively surprised by quality Couldn't become any better. Perhaps those will be available for those who want to use higher power with passive cooling.

I also updated product listing. There is now also VSD-E breakouts!
    http://www.granitedevices.fi/index.php?q=products
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vsdehp.jpg  

Recently I ordered a proto batch of machined & hard anodized heat sinks. I was totally positively surprised by quality Couldn't become any better. Perhaps those will be available for those who want to use higher power with passive cooling.

I also updated product listing. There is now also VSD-E breakouts!
    http://www.granitedevices.fi/index.php?q=products
    Yes please to the heat sinks. How much cost do you anticipate they would add? Any chance you could include the CAD file for them with the drives?

Will you have enough drives in the first batch to fill orders on your waiting list? I haven't heard anything or had an offer yet, but was hoping to get them soon

Best regards,

Jason

We have enough drives for wait list but Timo is still finishing the GDtool manual and I would like to finish breakout board documentation, too. I think we could start shipping drives now and let users download manuals from web once they're ready (next week).

Since machined heatsink is significantly more expensive than flat one, I think we make VSD-XE version with it. It should be able to handle 30-40% higher continuous current and we probably also give 2 year warranty for them. Pricing is uncertain at the moment, but should be clear on the next week.

Where you would need CAD drawings?

If you didn't offer them for sale, or even if you did, some people would like to machine their own heatsink's, I think that's why the CAD file was requested.

Matt

Adding a fan should be enough for cooling, and disassembly might void warranty. However, if someone wants to mill heatsink, then why not. I will send the DXF by email gladly.

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    If you didn't offer them for sale, or even if you did, some people would like to machine their own heatsink's, I think that's why the CAD file was requested.

Matt
    Yes, exactly! Thank you, Matt.

Adding a fan should be enough for cooling, and disassembly might void warranty. However, if someone wants to mill heatsink, then why not. I will send the DXF by email gladly.
    I'd prefer to avoid adding a fan, that's why I am interested in the finned heat sink. My machines get used in offices and spare bedrooms among other places, so I am always looking for ways to keep them as quiet as possible.

Although I would like to mill my own heatsinks, I would not want to do so if fitting them required disassembling of the drive that will void the warranty. If I could fit them without voiding the warranty, then yes please, I would like the DXF. Otherwise, I will keep an eye out for the price on the VSD-XE.

Very nice job on the manual, by the way. I'm still reading through it so I apologise if I've just missed it so far, but have you published the dimensions anywhere?

One last question - am I right in thinking that the inputs from the controller are opto-isolated? If so, a breakout board would be optional, but not essential?

Many thanks,

Jason

Jason, the best way to add cooling power is to attach couple of standard heat sinks (cost something like $2-4 a piece) on flat plate. Two 40x40xZZ mm heat sinks fit nicely on VSD-E surface. Thermally conductive adhesive is a good way to attach them. Before making machined heat sinks I was actually thinking to provide such modification as an option.

You easily could spend an hour machining custom heat sink so I think it's not worth it :-)

Dimensios are still missing in manual. I will add them in the next version.

Most of I/O's are optoisolated, so you can connect it directly to computer. Only analog inputs are non-isolated.

I did some testing of 160VDC VSD-E today. I have tried 2 different MOSFETs, one has been rated for 19A/200V and another 34A/200V.

It seems that the first one would make about 6A cont/12A peak output possible (or 9A cont/24A peak in parallel DC). 34A fet corresponding numbers would be around 8A/15A (and 11A/30A for parallel DC).

The difference between fets becomes quite small because the larger one is slower and has higher switching losses.

I updated few VSD-E related manuals today. I also wrote a whole new document called Getting started with VSD-E/XE. I was a bit worried that all the features and apparent complexity made users think product as hard to use. The new document is only 5 pages (most of pictures) practically showing how simple it really is to get working. Direct link to PDF:
    http://www.granitedevices.fi/assets/...ingStarted.pdf

I updated few VSD-E related manuals today. I also wrote a whole new document called Getting started with VSD-E/XE. I was a bit worried that all the features and apparent complexity made users think product as hard to use. The new document is only 5 pages (most of pictures) practically showing how simple it really is to get working. Direct link to PDF:
    http://www.granitedevices.fi/assets/...ingStarted.pdf
    Ha - I was reading your quick start guide when I saw your post

I have some Allen Bradley brushless servo motors, I was wondering whether they might work with the VSD-E drive. They're 230v windings, rated 4500 rpm. I only need 1000 rpm, is there any chance they might work ok?

Many thanks,

Jason

Ps - they are the Y-2012-2 model...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 4.jpg   Picture 5.jpg  

Page 8 of 11 678910