586,089 active members*
3,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Linear servo motor control

Hi all -

Long story short I came to own a XY gantry driven by permanent magnet linear motors - the motors & encoders are connected to servo drivers that are daisy chained with ethernet.

I'm looking to try and get these motors running but I am at a loss of how to figure out how to drive them because I don't have any information on the motor itself or servo driver. I'm familiar with typical rotary servo signals and connecting to a motion controller but I have not used any drives with an ethernet connection or linear motor before. I've reached out to the company that originally made the machine but I doubt they will get back to me or help me too much since I'm not the original customer. Any thoughts on how to go about this? Would love to give this machine a new life!

Cheers,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20220824_173218821.MP.jpg   PXL_20220824_173213421.MP.jpg   PXL_20220826_000648324.MP.jpg   PXL_20220826_000704522.MP.jpg  

Re: Linear servo motor control

Hi,
    if you are familiar with rotary servos then linear servos are no great hurdle. The problem is that these servo drives are daisy chained together, possibly EtherCat or Profibus or similar bus communication
    system.

You will have to identify what system is being used. Its common for EtherCat servo drives to be Ethercat ONLY, that is to say you cannot drive them with Step/Dir pulses as you may be familiar with.
    In order to use them you would have to get an EtherCat master, a modified PC for example. In the case of EtherCat getting a master is not too much of a bother but Profibus is another matter, being
    proprietary it could be expensive.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by mvalente3 View Post
    Hi all -

Long story short I came to own a XY gantry driven by permanent magnet linear motors - the motors & encoders are connected to servo drivers that are daisy chained with ethernet.

I'm looking to try and get these motors running but I am at a loss of how to figure out how to drive them because I don't have any information on the motor itself or servo driver. I'm familiar with typical rotary servo signals and connecting to a motion controller but I have not used any drives with an ethernet connection or linear motor before. I've reached out to the company that originally made the machine but I doubt they will get back to me or help me too much since I'm not the original customer. Any thoughts on how to go about this? Would love to give this machine a new life!

Cheers,
    Michael
    Do you have the servo drives, there must be a manufacturers name / part number on them, take some photos I have used a lot of linear motors and drives they come in many different ways to control them
    Mactec54

I did some more disassembly and found a lot more information.

The linear motor is an I-Force made by Parker. I found some guides from people repurposing these or similar motors (https://sites.google.com/site/janbec...ter?authuser=0).

I took apart the servo drivers and it looks like they are from PMD (https://www.pmdcorp.com/?hsLang=en) - maybe an Ion / CME board. PMD mentions support for ethercat, so so maybe it is ethercat? They have a configuration wizard on there website, I might download that and see what happens.

In the meantime I bought a used Compax3 drive from Parker that should also work to try and drive it.

Thanks for the help - I'll post an update if I get it moving!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20220827_233802227.MP.jpg   PXL_20220827_233624933.MP.jpg   PXL_20220827_233521391.MP.jpg   Screenshot_20220827-164221.jpg  

Screenshot_20220827-164725.jpg   PXL_20220826_213741793.MP.jpg   PXL_20220826_204640674.jpg   PXL_20220827_232945142.MP.jpg  

Well I wasn't able to get the included servo drives working but I was able to get the linear motor running with the Compax3.