Hello, I just purchased a practically new Torus pro. I just finished up building an enclosure for it with a flood coolant system that actually works and dumps chips into a bin.
To my question, is their a better spindle motor for this thing? I really like the mill and works really well as far as all the axis moves. (Servo motors on X,Y and Z). Very stable and repeatable machine. The issue I am having is that I cant really go much more than .050 stepover, .2 DOC at 40ipm, this is with a 3 flute alumigator 1/2" end mill. Hopefully this week I will get a look at the spindle and motor pulleys to see if there is room to get a smaller spindle pulley or larger motor pulley to get closer to a 1.5 - 1.
My Grizzly G0704 with a 1.5HP marathon motor and 2-1 ratio, chews some aluminum up quickly. But the rest of the machine, doesn't compare to the Torus pro. Well Mach 3 as its issues that I dont care for. I came from using acorn/centroid
My other option is to add a CNCdepot FM30 spindle. This is what I am really leaning towards, 12k rpm and get rid of the entire head on the Torus. https://www.cncdepot.net/product-pag...arch-pre-order

Id like to explore and see what my options are before dumping $3600 on a spindle and have to get all new tool holders. Has anyone changed out the pulleys and or motor to get more range?
My current VFD is the Sunfar 300 with the braking resistor. It has the PDB as well.

Thanks in advance.

Paul