Hi Folks,

I recently picked up a Chevalier Smart B818-II as surplus. Its definitely in need of some love and a new enclosure. The machine itself is mechanically (ways and ballscrews) and electrically in good shape, but it appears someone might have crashed it at some point. The spindle bearings are still silky smooth with no detectable play, but there is .0002 runout at the root of the spindle nose taper and .0005 at the tip and both are clocked at the same angle, so it appears that the spindle nose was slightly bent. I'm looking to get a recommendation for a quality spindle repair facility that doesn't overcharge for fluffy "value add" nonsense (I don't need a DNA workup for what species of gnat farted in my spindle oil, causing fatal contamination, for example. ).

I'm expecting bearing replacement, but not sure how you handle the spindle nose if its bent by such a small amount.

Anyone had a recent spindle rebuild that involved this kind if issue that would be willing to share some ballpark repair costs, repair facility used, and overall satisfaction with the quality and value of their work?

Thanks!