586,076 active members*
3,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > UCCNC Control Software > Leaving Mach3 for UCCNC - Hardware migration question

Question Leaving Mach3 for UCCNC - Hardware migration question

Hi

Fired up the router this morning to discover the latest w10 update had killed Mach3, AGAIN !
    Fair enough, it is very old software, so be it.

I am planning on switching to UCCNC and am hoping it is as simple as pulling out the Smoothstepper and replacing it with a UC100. Downstream is a KTA-205 https://oceancontrols.com.au/KTA-205.html that has served me very well for many years.

Apart from the software learning curve, am I going to be that lucky ??

BTW, PC is an i7 with 12Gb RAM, I expect that will handle UCCNC.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by uspl View Post
    Hi

Fired up the router this morning to discover the latest w10 update had killed Mach3, AGAIN !
    Fair enough, it is very old software, so be it.

I am planning on switching to UCCNC and am hoping it is as simple as pulling out the Smoothstepper and replacing it with a UC100. Downstream is a KTA-205 https://oceancontrols.com.au/KTA-205.html that has served me very well for many years.

Apart from the software learning curve, am I going to be that lucky ??

BTW, PC is an i7 with 12Gb RAM, I expect that will handle UCCNC.

Thanks in advance
    If already using a smoothstepper with a breakout board. May I suggest you forget the UC100 and get a UC400eth instead?. Ethernet is better and it has the same idc26 connections as the smoothstepper.

Re: Leaving Mach3 for UCCNC - Hardware migration question

Hi,
    what about Mach4?

A new UC100 or UC300 or UC400 and a UCCNC license would be about the same as a Mach4 license. Your existing ESS will do Mach4 just fine, I've been using Mach4 ans an ESS
    for eight years.

Craig

Hi,
    just as a matter of interest if you do decide to get a UC100, and I certainly have no reason to disbelieve that it would not be a workable solution, don't buy one of the Chinese rip-off uc100's that abound on
    Ebay and Amazon....they are not a patch on the real thing by CNCDrive (Hungary).

Craig

I did the same thing on my router a few years ago. I went with uc300-ub1. It worked so well I duplicated the same controller on my mill a few years later. The other thing I would consider is acorn..I agree with dazp1976, I would go with ethernet.

Another option is to get hold of a retail version of win7 sp1. Once it's installed that's the end of it. You don't get the updating, it stays as it is and doesn't mess Mach3 up.

I did the same thing on my router a few years ago. I went with uc300-ub1. It worked so well I duplicated the same controller on my mill a few years later. The other thing I would consider is acorn..I agree with dazp1976, I would go with ethernet.