Hi there,
I've got a Mikron HSM700 (1997 or 1998 machine) that currently has a Heidenhain Atek HS Plus control on it. While this machine currently is up and running rather well, the control is one of the most finnicky controls I've ever come in contact with. We had explored the option of replacing it earlier this year when the control box died on it. We ended up going with an OEM unit, but are now realizing more and more that this control is causing our machine to be underutilized. I've gotten to a point again where I need to explore options of retrofitting a new control on this machine. I had gotten quotes from other outfits, but personally was a little concerned with price, install time, flexibility, and usability. My brother turned me on to Camsoft yesterday, saying it looked rather unique, flexible, and powerful. I called them up and talked with Gary on the phone for quite some time. While after the phone call I felt that Camsoft will be powerful enough, I have a few more detailed questions that I hope you guys here can help me sort through. I apologize for the length of this, but I want to be as thorough as possible.

#1 Main concern is integration with the servo drives currently on the machine. The machine has Bosch Sercos drives run via fiber-optics and a slew of other cables\connectors. If I can keep this drives in there and not have to install others, this would in my opinion be the safest and most economical option. I understand the Bosch sercos is proprietary and keeping the stock drives in there may not be an option. Mainly looking for input from people that have had any experience with them.

#2 The machine must be able to retain all the stock options. What I mean here is that the control will need to handle the stock thermal compensation that is on the spindle (spindle has remote chiller for it), the stock safety interlocks (on all 4 doors, on tool changer, etc), unist Uni-lube air mister\mist extractor, Torit dust collector, and be able to handle Blum tool touch off laser.

#3 And possibly more important than anything else is that the machine must be reliable. I am not worried about the machine itself in regards to reliability, it is one of the most solid machines built I have seen to date. I know that Camsoft is windows based which will make that far easier for me if the need be to maintain. The current Heidenhain control is Unix based, and if anyone has tinkered with that, they understand the frustrations that can be involved. Basically the machine must be able to run nonstop and be able to just take anything that is tossed at it. All I feel I should have to do with the machine is keep it clean and lubed up; not worry that some sort of electronics is going to crap out on me.

If anyone has any questions, I will be glad to respond. I appreciate any input anyone may have. Here again are some of the machine specs for reference to help.

1997 Mikron HSM700
Heidenhain Atek HS Plus (pre tnc430\530 control)
Bosch Spindle and Axis Drives (sercos)
Step-Tec 42,000 RPM Spindle with remote chiller (remote chiller also controls an air conditioning unit inside where all the electronics are at)
Blum Tool touch off laser (Blum P87.0634-014-A2/2/32-1)

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me. I also have a slew of pictures of all of the machine if anyone would like to see those as a reference (I will upload to my FTP as soon as I can). Again, thanks for any help and input on this.

Andrew Gore
Three R Plastics Inc.